cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD replacement in ASUS TUF GAMING F15 FX507ZM (2022)

jnj123
Level 7

My 1.5 year old ASUS TUF GAMING F15 FX507ZM (2022) has lately been getting Media and Data Integrity Errors according to CrystalDiskInfo.   It had 4 entries for the past 6 months from when I backed up the drive using a fast backup program.   I did another full backup on Wednesday and the number of Media and Data Intergrity Errors went to around 425.    Yesterday (Thurs) it got 34 more of these errors.  Chkdsk found and repaired some issues with some old email files, but repaired them (and I restored the ones that had data loss).  I'm concerned about these errors even though it still says it has 97 percent of the spare blocks.    My plan is to replace the original 1024.2 GB SSD with a 1000gb (1TB) SSD.

As a test, to see if the laptop would boot off of a clone of the original SSD, I removed the cover and swapped out for a backup drive and it worked, but I put the old drive back for now.   My plan is to do one more backup to a newer SSD and then swap again.   

A few questions:

I notice the old drive has a foil sleeve around it.   I can slide the old sleeve off and put the new SSD in the foil sleeve.  I assume this is for EMF interference protection.   

1) Do I really need that aluminum sleeve on the new drive?   
2) I also notice the old drive has a strip of metal attached to the top of the original SSD.   Do I need a strip of metal added to the new SSD?   If so, where do I get a new strip of metal to attach to the new SSD, as I don't want to pry the strip of metal off the old SSD.
3) I notice (via CrystalDiskInfo) that the old SSD tends to overheat when doing a fast backup (and that's even when backing up to an old fashioned Sata hard drive via USB3).    Is there any way to prevent the internal SSD from overheating (getting above 70 degrees Celsius) when doing a backup with software like Macrium Reflect? 
4)  Since the original SSD is 1024.2gb, I had to omit the "recovery" and "restore" partitions when cloning to a standard 1TB NVME SSD (1000gb).   I assume there are no issues omitting these two partitions unless I wanted to revert to factory settings.  Is that correct?
5) are there any other issues to be concerned about when replacing the SSD?
6) although Samsung SSDs typically have a 5 year warranty, I assume that the one that came with the laptop will not be replaced by Samsung should I request it, and assume it's out of warranty as well with ASUS, is that correct?

Thanks.  J.  

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @jnj123 ,

When replacing the SSD, please be careful when tearing off the top "DIMM COVER MYLAR" (it must be covered back after replacing the SSD to avoid any abnormalities). If you are replacing the left SSD, please remove the AL FOIL first, then tear off the ABSORBER and attach it to the new SSD (which helps with heat dissipation). Finally, cover it with AL FOIL (this prevents interference with other components). These are the relevant steps for replacing the SSD.
Regarding SSD warranty, the warranty for the SSD shipped with the laptop is aligned with the laptop's warranty period. The information provided above is for your reference. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @jnj123 ,

If you only wish to replace the SSD in the right SSD slot while keeping the left SSD slot empty, please make sure to place the ABSORBER on the SSD.
We cannot confirm whether the black sticker on your new SSD has the same function and dimensions as AL FOIL/ABSORBER. We recommend using the original AL FOIL/ABSORBER and covering it with Mylar. This information is provided for your reference. Thank you.

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @jnj123 ,

If you encounter any issues regarding AL FOIL/ABSORBER during SSD replacement, as conditions may vary by country, we recommend contacting your local service center for further assistance.
It's generally okay for the unallocated space to be at the end of the drive, especially if it's a relatively small amount like 335.7 MB. The placement of unallocated space on a drive doesn't typically affect the system's performance or functionality.If your system is working fine and you don't have any specific requirements for the placement of unallocated space, there's no need to make changes.
This information is provided for your reference. Thank you.

15 REPLIES 15

Bogus5
Level 12

If the drive reaches a temperature of 70°C during heavy use, it has been installed incorrectly and requires heat dissipation components.

The original drive does get above 70 degrees C during heavy use, but it was installed by ASUS at the factory.   I think the metal strip attached to the SSD is supposed to dissipate heat, but I'm not sure.    If adding any heat dissipation components, then what do you recommend specifically that would not be too thick to fit in the laptop? 

Bogus5
Level 12

Even a good cooling pad can lower the temperature of m.2 drives by 10°C.

Bogus5
Level 12

Yes, I know it's an Asus assembly plant and in my case on a Micron drive, this solution works (disk in the second slot).

Wondering if I would be better off putting the replacement drive in slot 2, and leaving slot 1 empty, and not bothering with the aluminum wrapper that’s supposed to prevent EMF interference?  Would be nice to know if the delicate aluminum wrapper is supposed to prevent the SSD from interfering with other components, or other components from interfering with the SSD?  Also what is the purpose of the delicate thin black sheet that covers both the original SSD and RAM?  

Bogus5
Level 12

I don't know why ASUS puts these condoms on the drives, but the aforementioned Micron doesn't exceed 45°C.

I went with a WD Black SN770.  Is there a specific cooling pad and/or heat sink that you would recommend?  Thanks.   

For ASUS laptops, you need to use low-profile radiators, up to 1.5mm, or you won't close the lid. I bought mine in China and they are also available there in graphene-coated copper sheet.

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @jnj123 ,

When replacing the SSD, please be careful when tearing off the top "DIMM COVER MYLAR" (it must be covered back after replacing the SSD to avoid any abnormalities). If you are replacing the left SSD, please remove the AL FOIL first, then tear off the ABSORBER and attach it to the new SSD (which helps with heat dissipation). Finally, cover it with AL FOIL (this prevents interference with other components). These are the relevant steps for replacing the SSD.
Regarding SSD warranty, the warranty for the SSD shipped with the laptop is aligned with the laptop's warranty period. The information provided above is for your reference. Thank you.