cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

screen black most of the time

etuke
Level 7

I have a G733ZM rog notebook with the I7 12700H and RTX 3060 GPU.couple of days ago I was viewing the web when my screen started to loose quality and went dark from the bottom left corner that swept across the entire screen until I couldnt see anything anymore.At the time I thought the hdd had died but not so.After tinkering with it and it cooled down I rebooted it and the asus logo came up on the screen also the windows loading circle but it was boken up into horizontal lines,everything had horizontal lines of the same graphics through it just slightly different.All the logo was being shown just horizontal distortion.I hooked up an external and can use the laptop no problem,everything runs fine.When its cold I can get some picture on boot up but never last long enough to get to windows.Yesterday when I booted it lit up with a pinkish tone and a blac horizontal bar about a third up from the bottom and about an inch wide.Today I decided to try and use the MUX switch as its supposed to bypass the CPU and run off the RTX card.I still didn't get any pic on the main screen but also lost it on the external where I tought I was screwed as now I couldn't use it.Fortunatly after a couple resets it came back on the external.Sometimes the backlight will come on and sometimes it won't,when it does usually I get some graphics but not allways.I use this like a desktop so the lid is just left open so I can't see it being the cable.I would love to fix this issue but I scared to waste my money buying a screen and my issue turns out to be the CPU/onboard GPU.I knoe the RTX card works fine.I'm hoping with the explanation I have given someone who is more tech savey would be more confident in the diagnosis than me but I'm leaning to a bad monitor.

3 REPLIES 3

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @etuke ,

Have you updated your BIOS to the latest version 324 and tested with the ASUS verified NVIDIA display driver version V31.0.15.1640 and Intel graphics driver version V31.0.101.4502
Additionally, does the display appear normal when entering the BIOS interface? If the issue persists in the BIOS, we recommend sending your laptop to a local service center for further hardware diagnostics. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

etuke
Level 7

Unfortunately I can no longer get to the bios as it wont show on the external monitor,I did update it when I first got it but can't remember what the version was.curently using the intel driver you stated but the nvidia is 31.0.15.5161.Nothing has change driver wise since this happened last friday.

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @etuke ,

Please try removing all external devices and power sources while the laptop is powered off. Then, press and hold the power button for 40 seconds to perform an EC reset. Afterward, reconnect the power source and boot up the laptop to test if the main screen functions properly. Additionally, consider replacing the Nvidia drivers with versions verified by ASUS for testing.

If the issue persists on both the main screen and external displays, we recommend sending the laptop to a repair center for further hardware diagnostics. Thank you.