cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safe to disable HDD? (SSD has windows installed on it)

Snowcherub
Level 8

I recently posted about getting a S.M.A.R.T status bad: back up and replace error message on start up for my 2015/2016 gaming laptop - GL502VM. The HDD is now causing freezing on one of my windows profiles and is continuing to run at 100% active far too often. The HDD is showing as RAW. I would like to disable the HDD (D drive) in disk management (if it will) to stop it causing issues. I have been using an external HDD for gaming with no issues. This freezing from the HDD is happening with/without the external HDD plugged in. Since the external HDD is working well I am not motivated to take the HDD out of the computer especially as I plan to replace it in around 4 months.

Is it safe to just disable the HDD via disk management? I assume my computer will still start, boot up and work as normal as C (SSD) has the boot and windows on it.  Just wanting confirmation. 

1 REPLY 1

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @Snowcherub ,

If your SSD (C drive) contains the Windows installation and is set as the boot drive, you can disable the HDD (D drive) via disk management as a temporary solution. Doing so prevents the operating system from accessing the problematic HDD, thereby reducing system load and addressing potential freezing issues. Before performing such an operation, please ensure that you have backed up any important data to prevent data loss. The above information is provided for your reference. Thank you.