cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Zephyrus Duo 16 (2023) freezes on startup

DomenicoDentice
Level 9

Help please.

I have just purchased the ROG Zephyrus Duo 16 (2023) and after a week or so started to freeze on Windows startup and a couple of times on shout down. All drivers were updated and also ran hardware checks as well as a memory diagnostic check. No problem here. The notebook works fine when it gets through the initial startup and can work on it for hours with  no problems.

Has anybody an idea on what it could be?

Many thanks!!!

202 REPLIES 202

I wasn’t aware that they made an Intel version. The 2021 model was AMD, I had this for two years with an RTX 3080 and it worked perfectly. (I wish I never sold it if I’m honest.) I thought the 2022 version was AMD as well but I could be wrong. If the issue is AMD related then I would assume an Intel version would be okay but this is just a guess and do we really know the issue is AMD related?? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Nope sorry. I thought they did but I have just checked and that only comes as AMD

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Regarding the recent issue of freezing that many users have reported, we have verified that this problem is caused by using the latest AMD drivers from the official AMD website. Please follow the steps below to uninstall and reinstall the latest AMD Graphic Driver provided by ASUS official website. 
Please kindly pay attention to the driver information on the ASUS official website as we regularly update the drivers to provide a better user experience.

1.Check GPU mode,system should be on standard mode for driver install and uninstall

2.Download AMD Graphic Driver “V31.0.14001.46001” from ASUS websit

https://rog.asus.com/laptops/rog-zephyrus/rog-zephyrus-duo-16-2023-series/helpdesk_download/

Anbby_ROG_1-1686884724108.jpeg

3.Execute “Graphic_DriverOnly_ROG_AMD_Z_V31.0.14001.46001Sub2_34120” exe file

4.Click next until belowstep and choose Extract and click next step

5.Driver will extract on below path and click next for next step 

6.Click Install,Driver will extractfinished

7.Execute “AMDCleanupUtility” for uninstall AMD Graphic Driver

You can download the official AMD software "AMDCleanupUtility" from the AMD website.

8.System will auto reboot and enter safe mode, click ok for uninstallAMD Graphic Driver

9.System will show message after few minutesand click “Yes” for reboot

10.Check AMD Graphiccard’s driver completely uninstall by device manager

11.Execute Install batch file by administrator

12.Wait few minutesfor installed processand reboot systemby manual after installed finished

13.Check AMD Graphicdriver version “31.0.14001.46001”

Thank you for your concern, it’s means alot.

Yes when i did that freezing is gone yesterday. So, when can we start using the official AMD drivers again? I’m not fan of their services but without the AMD Adrenaline application, the screen flicks do not stop. Or any other solution those screen flashings ?

Thanks for your helps.

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @Niyazigo ,

I would like to confirm with you regarding the screen flickering issue. Does the flickering occur with every software?
May I know if you are using an external monitor? If so, could you please let us know how you have it connected?
Since we haven't received any similar reports, would you be able to assist us by recording the flickering issue? I will then consult with the relevant department to address this problem. Thank you for your cooperation.

How? Many people have mentioned the flick problem. I learned from this forum that everyone has the flick problem, and when it happened to me, I was able to stay cool. I don't think everyone gets better and mine stays like this?

This is the flick video I shared a few days ago: https://streamable.com/bleupg

The problem is that flickering happens on windows. I think there is no problem when you switch to nvidia, but when we return to windows, the situation is as in the video. (Or I didint see) When we install AMD Adrenaline, I can say that the problem is permanently gone. By the way, no, I haven't connected an external display to the device yet. Apart from the main screen and the lower half screen, we have not had a relationship with any other screen.

Thank you.

How do I do step 3 please…I do not know how to execute a file. @Anbby_ROG 

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Anbby_ROG_0-1687158172421.png

Here is a file icon for Step 3 for your reference.
I noticed that you mentioned returning the product to the retailer. I would like to confirm if everything is going smoothly with that?

I’ve just spoken to my brother who says that execute just means double click or open the file. Is this correct?? Maybe if you’d just said that rather than using jargon I wouldn’t have just sent it off for repair. FFS. 😡

Anyway, I’m now without a laptop for a month but if it’s not fixed when it comes back then they’ll give me a refund.

Dear Anbby,

You marked this topic as "Problem resolved". Yes, when we deleted AMD Adrenaline, the freezing problem was solved, but as we cannot use many features that come with it, our screens keep flickering without it. Which is very harmful in terms of mental and eye health. That's why many of us started using it by loading AMD Adrenaline again at the expense of freezing, and we still have to freeze.

Any news from the AMD team?