cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Zephyrus Duo 16 (2023) freezes on startup

DomenicoDentice
Level 9

Help please.

I have just purchased the ROG Zephyrus Duo 16 (2023) and after a week or so started to freeze on Windows startup and a couple of times on shout down. All drivers were updated and also ran hardware checks as well as a memory diagnostic check. No problem here. The notebook works fine when it gets through the initial startup and can work on it for hours with  no problems.

Has anybody an idea on what it could be?

Many thanks!!!

202 REPLIES 202

@ARC7 i think its bad idea. you can brick your laptop with unstable default bios

Yes, I was just sharing this with @Anbby_ROG  as I felt it may help them to try and figure out what is causing this issue. I wouldn’t suggest it is down to us to play around with these things. @ARC7 

It's just the manufacturer's firmware that the product came with, I am not strapping a nuclear reactor to a laptop.

If the bios file was not legitimate or tampered with, the signature would be invalid and it would refuse to install, it is also our right as consumers to rollback to the latest stable software when manufacturers push unstable versions, such as this case.

I cannot find the file for the original bios, so it is hard to exclude for now.

One thing I know for sure is that whatever causes the freeze/crash never gets logged in by Windows Events, this happens when the failure is at very low level and the OS doesn't even notice, either bios or graphics related.

All cool my friend. I ain’t the most technically minded when it comes to these things. I definitely think the issue started after the first BIOS update because when the second BIOS update came out I remember thinking to myself, “They’ve released this update to fix the issue which I assumed was caused or triggered by the first BIOS update”.

What are you saying? The new bios update has just come out to fix this issue? I don’t understand your reply… can you please rephrase? Thanks 

I'm saying that everyone seems to notice the pattern where the freezes and crashes happened after the first bios update, the second and last bios update didn't solve anything either.

Is anyone else using an external display when experiencing the issue?

Or is anyone else not using any external monitor at all and still getting freezes?

Crazy right?! . Let’s see what happens. Mine is at the repair centre and part/s should arrive tomorrow for replacement. They must have found something not working right in hardware terms otherwise they wouldn’t just replace parts!? That’s my idea… I hope it will solve that! 

Don't count too much on it, I've had laptops with almost every part replaced and shipped back to me with the same issue, the technicians do what they can do make you happy even if it's not something they can solve, but let us know once you get it back and update bios and drivers if the freezes keep happening.

Keep in mind that this is a very rare and expensive unit, they don't get to fix these every day, receiving a randomly freezing laptop can sometimes mean it is a hardware problem, but many people at once experiencing the same issue and complaining on a forum is something pretty common when bad updates are pushed to brand new products.

The first G14 had this, the 2022 Lenovo Legion 7 had the same, the more expensive, the harder they seem to be to maintain with well done updates, or perhaps they are just getting lazier when customising firmware for the top flagship units.

There have been no updates to fix the issue….What I was saying is that the issue seemed to start after the first BIOS update and so when the second update followed a few days later I hoped it was to fix the issue but obviously it didn’t.

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

I apologize for not explaining clearly. 
Regarding the Windows information, could you please PM me with the information as shown in the images below?

Thanks very much for every one assistance. 
I have gathered the information provided by everyone, and it seems that the issues are occurring after updating to BIOS 311.

However, as mentioned by @ARC7 , I would like to confirm the usage scenario. Do you have an external monitor connected? 
Also, if anyone experiencing the freezing issue on startup could provide a video recording, it would be helpful for the relevant teams to investigate the situation. 
Thank you all for your assistance.