cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog Strix Scar III (G531GV) - No video signal to external monitor through USB3.1C port (DisplayPort)

DA13
Level 7

Hello everyone,

As title says, I own a rog strix scar III (g531gv 2019 model) and I want to connect on it two external monitors, first one through the hdmi port with an hdmi to hdmi cable (works without any problems) and second one through USB3.1C port with a USB type-c to hdmi cable. This is where the problem appears ... There seems to be no way for windows to identify this monitor through the usb type-c port. The monitor as well as the usb type-c to hdmi cable is verified that both work as I can connect another laptop to this monitor with this exact cable.. I've been reading online that not every usb type-c port provides external monitor connectivity but this doesn't seem to be the case for me as I can see clearly next to the usb type-c port the D sign (ss 10gb/s D), even laptop's manual states that this port is capable to have an external monitor connected to it.. Wierd thing is that when I plug the cable on both usb type-c port and the monitor, windows doesn't play the classic sound it does when a device is connected on the computer.. finally, I know the usb type-c port is not malfunctioning because I can connect, charge, and transfer data between the laptop and a mobile phone without any problems...

Any help would be really appreciated as I've got no idea what to do to make my laptop identify and use this external monitor ...

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @DA13 ,

After confirming that the G531GV Type-C port supports video output, you mentioned that using a USB Type-C to HDMI cable allows video output on another laptop. Could you please share information about the USB Type-C to HDMI cable you used?

Additionally, I would like to confirm the current versions of the BIOS and display drivers you are using to better understand the issue. Thank you.

DA13
Level 7

Hi Anbby_ROG, 

Thank you for your reply. The USB Type-C to HDMI cable that works on the other laptop is this one:

https://www.plus26.gr/product/312896/transmedia-cable-type-c-male-to-hdmi-m-2m-4k-uhd.html

Description: USB type C plug - HDMI plug 4k UHD, @ 60 Hz, Plug & Play Details: To connect a notebook, tablet or smartphone with USB port Type C to a UHD TV. 2,0 m, supported HDCP 1.4 and HDCP 2.2, The cable is compatible with the following mobile phones: Samsung S8 / S9 / NOTE8, HUAWEI Mate 10, LG V20, LG G5 as well as for successor models.

Moreover, the BIOS version i use is the latest one that exists on asus website for this laptop model (308). The Intel display drivers i've installed is V26.20.100.6911 downloaded as well from the same website. Finally the nvidia drivers i've installed are latest one's downloaded from nvidia experience application (these drivers are newer than the ones that exist on rog website for this laptop model).

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @DA13 ,

Thank you for providing the information. In order to rule out any compatibility issues, have you tested with different cables? Additionally, please try testing with another monitor to see if it displays properly.
Furthermore, have you tried reinstalling the USB-related drivers to see if that improves the situation? Thank you.