cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix Scar 18 Gsync and screen off will balck screen

Kantana
Level 8

Anyone else still encountering black screens after screen goes to sleep while gaming with Gsync on?  I can hear the music still playing but the notebook never turns the screen back on and I need to hard reboot to recover.

To recreate this problem, use standard GPU mode in armory crate, under nvidia control panel, manage display mode and set automatic select then under gsync enable it.  Play any game with Gsync on and let the windows set the screen to off.  You can hear the game sounds still on but any attempt to wake the screen remains blank.  Have to hard reset by holding the power button.

I have already tried updating all drivers with Asus and Nvidia video drivers, intel drivers, windows updates etc but cannot fix this.

Much appreciation in advance if anyone else has solved this.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @v3lasco ,

Thank you for providing the information. 
I will forward this question to the relevant department for further verification. If more information is needed, I will reach out to you for assistance. Thank you.

Due to the ongoing regional holidays, my responses may be slightly delayed.
Thank you in advance for your patience.‌‌‌‌

View solution in original post

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @Kantana ,

Thank you very much for your patience. Please update to the latest version of the NVIDIA display driver V31.0.15.4624, to test. We hope this resolves the issue. If you still have any concerns or encounter further problems, please feel free to let us know. Thank you.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @Kantana ,

I would like to confirm the specific usage scenario with you. Are you experiencing an issue where the screen goes to sleep and cannot be awakened while playing games with G-Sync enabled? Does the same issue occur when you disable G-Sync? Would it be possible for you to provide any relevant videos for further confirmation?

Could you please confirm the current version of your Nvidia graphics card driver and the specifications of your Windows system? Thank you.

@Anbby_ROG Thanks for getting back to me, I have tried using all recent Nvidia drivers, currently on 536.40.

I have changed my hardware specs to 64GB Kingston 5600 ram now running at DDR 5200, replaced my SSDs to Samsung 990 Pro 2TB & WD SN850x 4TB.  Everything else remains same as stock.  I have updated all my drivers, apps eg Intel ARC, thunderbolt, network, bluetooth etc.  

The issue is cannot resume once the screen goes to sleep while RTX 4090 is active with GSync on.  The notebook will not resume the screen, eventually the music also stops and the notebook will not recover unless I hard reboot it.  If I switch GSync off then there are no issues resuming after the screen goes off.

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @Kantana ,

Could you please confirm your laptop model for us?
I would like to ask for your assistance in trying to change the Nvidia driver to the version provided on the ASUS official website for testing. If the issue still persists, could you help us by recording a video for further investigation?
Additionally, have you tried resetting the system for testing purposes? Thank you.

@Anbby_ROG my system is the Strix 18 model G834JY.  I have since reverted back to the original 32GB memory as I had multiple  BSOD when using the KVR56S46BD8-32 memory kits.  But yes the failure to resume from LCD sleep if GSync is active and a game is running still persists.

Some background, after I installed my 2 SSDs I used the UEFI bios to restore the operating system from internet.  I then updated windows, drivers etc after that.

Pls send instructions on how to revert back to official Asus video drivers and where to send the video?

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @Kantana ,

To change the driver to the official version, please go to the Device Manager, find the Nvidia driver, and uninstall it. Then, download the NVIDIA Graphic Driver (V31.0.15.2847, dated February 8, 2023) using the following link:
https://www.asus.com/supportonly/g834jy/helpdesk_download/

Regarding the video, you can upload it to the cloud and provide the link via private message. 

We will further assist you in identifying and resolving your issue. Thank you.

I have g634jz scar 16 4080 and have the same issue, it not only happens on sleep it also happens on monitor turning off by idle while playing a fullscreen game gsync enabled, tested on a lot of games. No issues with gsync off also, only when gsync is on. Everything latest version (i haven't tried the nvidia drivers on the asus website tho) and hardware is stock. even the bios is 317 that released today and have the same issue. I had some troubleshoot and it's not related to any system service (i booted with only nvidia driver services disabling all asus servcies and still happening). Hope you can report it as a bug.

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @Rosemary ,

Please try using the ASUS-certified NVIDIA Graphic Driver (V31.0.15.2866) to see if it can help troubleshoot the issue. 
Thank you.

Hello, i have the g634jz model and just tried with the driver on the asus website V31.0.15.2866. I still have the same issue and nothing has changed. It's really easy to recreate, just open gsync from nvidia control panel while in ultimate gpu mode. Go to a full screen game and either wait for the monitor to turn off while being idle or windows sleep mode and the screen won't come back forcying you to hard reboot, if you wait long enough laptop will  also reboot itself. These issues don't happen when gsync is turned off from nvidia control panel. screenshot.png

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @Rosemary ,

Thank you for your response. 
Could you please assist in recording a video demonstrating the issue with enabling G-Sync and provide screenshots of the settings in the NVIDIA Control Panel? I will forward this to the relevant department for further investigation. Additionally, I just want to confirm, are you currently using BIOS version 317? Thank you.