cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix 2022 Laptop CPU fans going full throttle at random

rabcor
Level 7

I have had this laptop for a while now, and about a half a year after I got it it began to just completely at random rev up the CPU fan to 100%; but I can only tell by noise, because according to both the BIOS and Armoury Crate, whenever this is going on, CPU Fan speed is at 0RPM.

When the fan is working normally (e.g. not randomly blasting at 100% speed) RPM is read correctly too.

What could be causing this? Any way I could potentially fix it? This is ridiculously annoying. It also happens regardless of what OS I am on (not surprising since it can happen in BIOS too), tried W10, W11 and various Linux distros, happened everywhere.

As for how long it happens, it varies, sometimes it's just a few seconds, sometimes it's maybe a minute, sometimes like at the time of this writing it's been going non-stop for 15 minutes.

6 REPLIES 6

Bogus5
Level 12

If the problem is not systemic, it is hardware. If not the BIOS and not the OS, then the computer needs service. Perhaps the heat pipes are clogged for some reason.

It is indeed probably a hardware issue, the 0rpm thing implies a connectivity issue of some kind, maybe if I unplug the cpu fan and plug it back in... is that feasible on this model?

Bogus5
Level 12

It's not worth tinkering, because you may need to replace the entire cooling system, not just the fans.

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @rabcor ,

Could you please confirm the full model name of the laptop you are using?
Please update your BIOS to the latest version and try using MyASUS to check if there are any abnormalities with the fan.
If the issue persists, we recommend that you send your laptop to the repair center for further diagnostics. The above information is provided for your reference.

Model name is G713RW, my BIOS is up to date.

MyASUS didn't find any issues with the fan.

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @rabcor ,

Have you tried resetting the laptop system and restoring the BIOS to default settings, ensuring that the hardware components (memory and hard drive) are tested with their factory configurations? 
This is to verify whether the issue is due to a system anomaly or hardware compatibility. If you have already attempted these steps and the problem persists, we recommend further diagnostics through your local service center. Thank you.