cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No display after installing RAM

Psmithav
Level 8

I am having "no display issue with my Asus FX516p laptop after installing Corcair Vengance 3200 16GB RAM Could you tell me how to resolve?. 

I have waited 20min. Keyboard and fans power up but no display

THANKS IN ADVANCE

PETE

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @Psmithav ,

Based on your description, it's possible that there might be a compatibility issue. To ensure that the issue is not misleading, could you please try replacing the memory with the original manufacturer's memory and check if the display functions properly? 

Below, we provide you with the brands and models that have undergone our compatibility and stability testing for your reference. Thank you.

DDR4 3200 16GB 260P_MICRON/MTA8ATF2G64HZ
DDR4 3200 16GB 260P_SAMSUNG/M471A2G43AB2

View solution in original post

UPDATE: RESOLVED 

As suspected the Corsair RAM was incompatible. Crucial RAM worked perfectly. 

[Crucial 16GB DDR4 SODIMM 3200MHz CL22 1.2V }

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

QQ02
Level 11

Have you tried reseating the RAM to make sure it is fully in (there should be clips on both sides that pop in to hold the RAM in place correctly)?

There is a chance that something was unplugged when the device was open, but it is not highly likely unless you did other maintenance as well. When you reseat the RAM, just check everything else looks plugged in.

I have checked and re-seated the RAM.

Psmithav
Level 8

UPDATE: From my searching - This seems to be a common issue with RAM upgrades on these machines. Apparently they are fairly picky with RAM, and the consensus is that Memory made by Micron works. A few others have advised they swapped out corsair Vengence for Crucial and resolved the issue. I will update after I have tried this.

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @Psmithav ,

Based on your description, it's possible that there might be a compatibility issue. To ensure that the issue is not misleading, could you please try replacing the memory with the original manufacturer's memory and check if the display functions properly? 

Below, we provide you with the brands and models that have undergone our compatibility and stability testing for your reference. Thank you.

DDR4 3200 16GB 260P_MICRON/MTA8ATF2G64HZ
DDR4 3200 16GB 260P_SAMSUNG/M471A2G43AB2

Hi the only other ram in the laptop is 16gb soldered. The slot I'm adding to had no module in it

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @Psmithav ,

Thank you for your response. If your laptop functions properly after removing the additional memory you installed, it could be a compatibility issue. We recommend considering the memory brands we have tested for installation. Thank you for your understanding.

jasonnord
Level 7

If you're experiencing a "no display" issue on your Asus FX516p laptop after installing Corsair Vengeance RAM, here are some steps you can take to resolve the problem:

Remove and Reinstall RAM:
Start by turning off your laptop and disconnecting it from the power source. Carefully open the laptop and remove the newly installed Corsair Vengeance RAM module. Then, reseat the RAM module properly, making sure it clicks into place. Sometimes, improper seating of RAM can cause display issues.

Check RAM Compatibility:
Ensure that the Corsair Vengeance RAM module is compatible with your laptop model in terms of speed, size, and specifications. If the RAM is not compatible, it may lead to display problems.

Check for Beeping Sounds:
When you power on your laptop, listen for any beeping sounds. These beep codes can provide diagnostic information. Refer to your laptop's user manual or the Asus website to interpret the beep codes and identify the issue.

Reset BIOS/UEFI Settings:
In some cases, a change in RAM may cause issues with the BIOS/UEFI settings. You can reset your laptop's BIOS/UEFI to default settings. To do this, refer to your laptop's manual for specific instructions.

Inspect for Loose or Disconnected Cables:
Carefully inspect the inside of your laptop for any loose or disconnected cables. It's possible that while installing the RAM, you accidentally disconnected or loosened a display cable. Ensure all connections are secure.

Test with Old RAM:
If you still have your old RAM modules, reinstall them and see if the laptop boots up properly. This will help determine if the issue is related to the new Corsair Vengeance RAM.

Test on External Monitor:
If you have access to an external monitor, connect your laptop to it using the appropriate video cable. This will help you determine if the laptop's internal display is the issue. If the external monitor displays the laptop's output, the problem may be with the laptop's internal display or display cable.

Contact Support:
If you've tried all the above steps and the issue persists, it's a good idea to contact Asus customer support or visit an authorized service center. They can diagnose and address the problem more comprehensively.

It's important to handle your laptop's internal components with care and ensure it's powered off and disconnected from any power source when performing these steps. If you're not comfortable doing these troubleshooting steps yourself, seeking assistance from a professional technician is recommended.

jasonnord
Level 7

Hi,

Try these steps, and your issue will be resolved.  

Begin by turning off your laptop and disconnecting it from the power source. Open the laptop and carefully remove the new Corsair Vengeance RAM module. Then, reseat the RAM module properly, making sure it clicks into place. Sometimes, improper seating of RAM can lead to display issues.   

When you power on your laptop, listen for any beeping sounds. These beep codes can provide diagnostic information. Consult your laptop's user manual or the Asus website to understand the beep codes and identify the issue.

In some cases, changes in RAM may affect the BIOS/UEFI settings. You can reset your laptop's BIOS/UEFI to default settings. Refer to your laptop's manual for specific instructions.

UPDATE: RESOLVED 

As suspected the Corsair RAM was incompatible. Crucial RAM worked perfectly. 

[Crucial 16GB DDR4 SODIMM 3200MHz CL22 1.2V }