cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Asus Strix G733QSA keeps crashing/freezing every 5-10 minutes

Alejarteaithame
Level 8

Good day everyone!

I have been struggling to get a proper fix with my G733QSA. I have tried everything from reinstalling Windows 10/11 (I have installed Windows from a separate laptop since my machine keeps crashing), reinstalling the latest graphics drivers from Asus/AMD/Nvidia and replacing all my RAM and SSD but still no joy. I am quite reluctant to send my machine to Asus Repair Services here in UK since I have a bad experience with them. https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/letmerepair.co.uk check their horrendous reviews. I'm pretty sure they will quote me again with a new motherboard repair which will cost more than what I paid for the laptop itself.

If anyone here has been able to sort out this issue may you so kindly help me. It would be really sad to know that this machine, considered the most powerful gaming laptop in 2022 is only good for a couple of years.

21 REPLIES 21

Bogus5
Level 12

Or maybe you just need to replace the battery? All symptoms indicate a problem with the power supply.

At that point it would more likely be a VRM issue, which means new motherboard. 

Back when I was testing with the DDR4 2400 I could run from the battery without issue. I didn't time it with a stop watch but it help up for long periods of time and didn't expire prematurely. I'm sure it has lost a bit of capacity as all battery's do. But being less than two years old and the aforementioned it's healthy enough not to be a problem.
At least in my case here. 

It's usually a good idea to start with the simplest solutions, so it's a good idea to check the connectors at the battery and motherboard.

I understand what your saying, it's also usually a good idea to disconnect the battery before swapping out any components which I did as a matter of course. I'm very sure I reaffirmed all connections and also tried removing any non dependent components. I was trying to be as brief as possible in my first reply as it was to be a few paragraphs long. If I had list everything I tried it would make for a boring read, most of which would be superfluous.

Dear Bogus5,

My machines are always connected to the PS even on normal use. I have even tested if the problem would be solve if it run with the battery detached and just run on PS and still no joy.

HappyShabbat
Level 9

Did you use Windows' Event Viewer to get into possible reasons for the freezes?

Did you install a tool for surveillance of temperature of mainboard, cpu etc?

Did you test running on the batteries only as well as with your PC attached to the wall outlet?

Did you install new firmware (mainboard as well as 4070) just before the troubles began?

Does your PC freeze if you leave it idle? (no games started)

Johnyt
Level 9

Did you use Windows' Event Viewer to get into possible reasons for the freezes?
Before using the slower DDR4-2400 It would freeze during a fresh installation of windows or shortly after logging into desktop for the very first time so using the Event Viewer would of been impossible.

Did you install a tool for surveillance of temperature of mainboard, cpu etc?
Yes I did.

Did you test running on the batteries only as well as with your PC attached to the wall outlet?
Yes I briefly mentioned this in my previous posts. 

Did you install new firmware (mainboard as well as 4070) just before the troubles began?
I'm running the latest 331 version BIOS. Also this laptop has the 3080 not the 4070.
No significant changes were made before the freezing started. It's only because of the freezing did I begin looking for solutions, I was just running the laptop as per usual before then.

Does your PC freeze if you leave it idle? (no games started)
Yes this would also happen before. 

Does the laptop battery drain when playing demanding games when the laptop is connected to the power supply?

No I've never seen that happen on the G733QSA or any other laptop I've owned in the last 20 years. 

Alejarteaithame
Level 8

Latest Update: (see photos)

An hour ago, I ran this machine with an external monitor on battery power, clocked at 7 minutes, this thing crashed/froze accompanied by static noise on the external speakers. Turned of the machine and waited 5 mins to set this on manual mode on AC.

I have been running this machine on these settings (as recommended by @Johnyt ) for an hour now and so far its been stable. Though my CPU/GPU fans are on steroids mode ( sounds like an effing ramjet) its been stable so far. I was actually anticipating random flickering, but there's none. Updated Windows 11 without any hiccups. Temps are actually good since my fans are like sniffing coke every 30 seconds LOL! Happy with the results thus far. Will run this thing overnight with YouTube, Netflix, Disney+ on continuous play. I have played Diablo 4 (stock settings) for a view minutes and all is good. Fingers crossed, this has finally fixed this laptops issue.

ANYONE READING THIS AND CONSIDERING ON BUYING A G17 ON RYZEN.....TAKE IT FROM ME AND THE  REST OF THESE GUYS HAVING THIS ISSUE....."DONT BUY THIS PIECE OF $&!£" 

Again, thanks Mr @Johnyt for this invaluable solution!!! Named my manual settings after you mate!

From the bottom of my heart....CHEERS!!!

Running stable on PS before setting AC to MANUALRunning stable on PS before setting AC to MANUALCPU settingCPU settingGPU settingGPU settingTemps on new settingTemps on new settingMy rig (GTX 3080 16GB ver)My rig (GTX 3080 16GB ver)