cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max supported SSD

Nick_
Level 7

I'm looking for a 14inch model that is powerful enough for image/video processing, a good resolution screen (something like 2880x1800) and can support up to 4~8TB. That's really hard to find!

I'm thinking of buying one of these, which looks perfect except for SSD size. It ships with 1TB and the page shows "Up to 2 TB PCIe® 4.0 x4". Asus tech support says 2TB is the max but I'm not clear on whether this is the max supported or the max they considered selling it with (and therefore what support can see). From your experience, how likely is it that a brand new high end laptop in 2023 will have support that ends at 2TB?

https://www.asus.com/laptops/for-creators/zenbook/zenbook-pro-14-oled-ux6404/

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @Nick_ 
Due to different specifications for various models sold in different countries, we recommend visiting the local official website and checking the actual specifications of the product after selecting the purchase option (as shown in the image below).

In addition, after confirmation, the UX6404VI / UX6404VV supports a maximum of 2TB SSD (M.2 NVMe™ PCIe® 4.0). 
The above information is provided for your reference.

If you have any other questions related to ZenBook, you can visit https://zentalk.asus.com/t5/english-community/ct-p/en to discuss. Thank you.

Thanks for the reply! Where are you finding this information? I see the same webpage as you, and see that Asus says  "Up to 2 TB PCIe® 4.0 x4". What is not clear to me is whether this is the limit of the motherboard supports of whether this is the max value that Asus will install themselves. I'm interested in whether I can upgrade it to a larger size after purchase.

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @Nick_ ,

The information provided states that if you purchase a laptop with a factory-installed 1TB SSD, the maximum supported upgrade capacity for the SSD slot is 2TB. 
This information is provided for your reference. Thank you.

Nick_
Level 7

Took a risk after reading around on the web - bought a Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus 8TB. Works great! Thought I'd post in case anyone else wants to do the same and is getting misleading information. There's plenty of height in the M.2 socket to accommodate the double sided board.