cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabling fast charging

Shere
Level 7

Hi, I'm a proud, maybe a bit less proud lately, owner of ROG Flow X13 2022 (Ryzen 7 6800HS) While I love the versatility of this machine, I would like you to help with my issue.

This laptop has feature "Fast charging" in reality it means that while connected to ASUS ROG charger while below 40% of Battery SOC it will throttle the CPU to 600-800MHz, possibly to put full power delivery to battery to make it fast charge as fast as possible. Which leads to rendering the laptop unusable until it reaches 40%.

The fact that it could be cause by Fast Charging is just a theory, but if you connect third party docking station/monitor/charger it limits the Wattage to 65W and it is no longer fast charging and everything works just fine, hence the guess with Fast Charge.

Therefore... please... is there a way to disable the amazing fast charge feature I paid for in this laptop?

12 REPLIES 12

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @Shere ,

Can I confirm with you what mode is selected in Armoury Crate when the CPU appears at 600-800MHz?
Also, could you please provide me with a screenshot of the CPU at 600-800MHz and which functions are affected during fast charging?
Thank you

Hi @Anbby_ROG, mode really doesn't matter at all. I tried all of them. Here is a screenshot from a video taken for the RMA team (my phone cannot make screenshot from video nicely for some reason, so apologies for the quality) .I send it to RMA for the second time with this issue. The first time they reflashed the Bios and send it back (mind you I did that twice myself hoping it would work at the begining). So I do not currently posses the laptop until they send it back from the RMA. Which I believe will be useless anyways. 

No other functions seems to be affected, keyboard, touch function, trackpad everything works, it's just that you need the CPU to run smoothly in order for anything to work. So it just laggs. 

To clarify - On idle it works fine - regular 2000ish Mhz, but as soon as the action done requires processor to do more work it throttles down to 600-800MHz. Even clicking on a search bar, moving windows, not to mention playing game...

PS: All updates downloaded, 3x reflashed Bios, and it does it on even clean windows install regardless on updates. 

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @Shere ,

Due to the need for your personal information.
I have sent you a message, please check✉. Thank you

chilludio
Level 7

Hey @Shere did you ever find a solution for this? A way to turn off fast charging, that is?

Cheers,

Hunter

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @chilludio ,

What issues are you currently experiencing? 
Please describe your problem so that we can assist you. Thank you.

Hi @Anbby_ROG , no problems anymore as the RMA team returned the money and I will be purchasing the 2023 version with a hope it will NOT have the same issue anymore (low CPU clockspeed when below 40% SoC while charging) 

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @Shere ,

Thank you for providing the update.

@Anbby_ROG sure. It's the exact same as @Shere . CPU throttles to around 600 MHz when the laptop (rog flow x13) is charging and below 40% battery. After it's above 40% I get the expected 4.1 GHz in turbo mode. I usually get 2.5GHz on battery.

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @chilludio ,

Due to the need for your personal information.
I have sent you a message, please check✉. Thank you