cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rog Zephyrus G16 (2024) Second SSD Upgrade Question

Raz99
Level 7

Does the Asus Zephyrus G16 2024 support a second 4TB ? If so, is there a specific BIOS version required to enable it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TheMksdAvenger
Level 7

I tried multiple times with an SN850X 4 TB when I first received mine. I ended up exchanging it and going for a 2 TB model of the SN850X. It is literally not compatible with the BIOS, as it gave me issues where the computer would not power on without being plugged in, after a restart.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @Raz99 ,

The GU605M comes with two SSD slots . Each slot supports up to 2TB (PCIe Gen 4X4).

Please note that we conduct stability and compatibility tests based on the recommended specifications for laptop upgrades. If you encounter compatibility issues when installing components beyond the suggested specifications, we recommend testing with the recommended specifications for optimal performance. Thank you for your understanding. 

Raz99
Level 7

Thank you @Anbby_ROG for the explanation  - from a technical point of view, is there any hope that in future a BIOS/Firmware upgrade will allow 4TB per slot? or is this limitation in the hardware itself?

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @Raz99 ,

As mentioned earlier, we recommend upgrade specifications based on testing for stability and compatibility with the laptop. 

However, many users still opt to upgrade to higher-spec SSDs. If compatibility issues arise during the installation of components that exceed the recommended specifications, we still advise testing with the recommended specifications to achieve optimal performance.

CHARISvibes
Level 7

I mounted Samsung 4TB in G16 2024, working fine with 1TB stock SSD ; )

@CHARISvibes did you mount it in the primary slot or in the secondary? did you have to make any changes in the BIOS? - thanks

CHARISvibes
Level 7

I mounted Samsung SSD as a secondary. In BIOS i didn't changed anything. But better leave the original SSD because Asus screws the mounting screws to the drives very tightly. Believe me.

Thanks, not sure why my disk is not working: WD Black SN850X - will try to mount it into another PC to make sure the drive is ok, because nothing shows up neither in BIOS, Windows or Linux

Which disk model did you install?

CHARISvibes
Level 7

I have Samsung NVMe 990 Pro, works fine. Are you sure that you stick the slot properly? 

@CHARISvibes I doublechecked the mount, the drive is correctly in the slot. I will probably try to get the same drive as you have to see if that works 😉 I have no other Idea why it won't work