cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rog STRIX g15 advantage edition shuts down due to overheating

FenixOpia
Level 7

Hi guys, sorry for my English, this is not my native language,

Currently I have been having a problem with my laptop, when I play games at normal levels such as GTA V, the processor rises to 93ºC, I continue playing but suddenly my computer shuts itself down, this happened to me in GTA V and Fornite, I wasn't even running the games at maximum.

The recommendation of a friend was to remove the armory create software, do you know if this is a good solution or do you have any other recommendation for a simulated problem, I have been thinking of buying a base with ventilation.

I read you, thank you very much.

7 REPLIES 7

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @FenixOpia ,

May I ask which mode you have set in Armoury Crate? We recommend adjusting to the turbo mode or manual mode for customizing your laptop's performance. 
Additionally, could you confirm whether you're connected to the power source while playing games? It's advisable to keep the laptop connected to the power source for stability during gaming. 
If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know. Thank you.

Vandevious
Level 7

FenixOpia - I have had the same exact problem ever since I bought this G15 Advantage Edition. It crashes on me, during gaming, multiple times a night. Sometimes it will crash in 30 seconds... sometimes 2 hours. However, I do have a way that it will crash 100% of the time... like clockwork. When I load up Mortal Online 2 - then go into the game settings for video display, they have a quick gpu benchmark tool that will load video presets based on the card performance. If I activate that benchmark tool - the laptop shutsdown, ****** near every time. What's remarkable is that my old Asus ROG GL502VT with a 980M GPU can play the same game for HOURS and has NEVER crashed or shut down once... that laptop is years and years old. 

Back on topic, I'm here because the laptop shutdown literally just happened to me, again... I was in MO2, farmed up from valuable resources over about 45-60 minutes, then set out to deliver the resources (roughly a 30 minute ride, in game)... was 5 minutes into that ride, laptop shutdown... I got it back on... logged back in.. I got to the character selection screen to see that my character had died and lost all it's gear, went to login and the laptop shutdown again. At this point, the G15 AE is just a It's just a fancy-looking, unreliable P.O.S. and that's really tough for me to admit as I'm a MASSIVE Asus fan... I've got two Asus desktops, 3 Asus ROG laptops, Asus Curved 32 display, Asus Flow Z13 tablet ACRONYM edition, Asus ROG Ally, Asus Chakram mouse, Asus Spatha mouse, Asus Delta headphones, Asus Cetra true wireless earbuds, Asus ROG Phone... and other Asus products that I haven't even mentioned. I would NEVER recommend the Asus G15 Advantage Edition to anyone - EVER. If possible, I would return it... even at a partial loss, just to be rid of the headaches... then buy an Intel/nVidia combo ROG laptop. 

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @Vandevious ,

I'm sorry to hear about your user experience. 
I'd like to confirm if you've updated your BIOS to the latest version 331 and are using the ASUS-certified display driver version V30.0.13002.13003?

Additionally, could you please share the mode you have set in Armory Crate? We recommend trying the Turbo Mode and setting the GPU to Ultimate/Standard Mode to see if it improves your situation. We hope that making some adjustments to the settings can help improve your usage experience. If the issue persists, you may consider sending your laptop to a local authorized service center for further hardware diagnostics and repairs. 
If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know. Thank you.

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @Katoogan ,

Thank you for providing the relevant details. 
I would like to confirm with you if you have attempted to reinstall the MediaTek wireless network driver or performed a system reset to troubleshoot this issue.
Additionally, have you used MyASUS to check the hardware devices?
We hope to identify the issue quickly and resolve it. Thank you for your cooperation.

Katoogan
Level 7

@FenixOpia wrote:

Hi guys, sorry for my English, this is not my native language,

Currently I have been having a problem with my laptop, when I play games at normal levels such as GTA V, the processor rises to 93ºC, I continue playing but suddenly my computer shuts itself down, this happened to me in GTA V and Fornite, I wasn't even running the games at maximum.

The recommendation of a friend was to remove the armory create software, do you know if this is a good solution or do you have any other recommendation for a simulated problem, I have been thinking of buying a base with ventilation.

I read you, thank you very much.

I have the same issue with the same laptop and so do many others who own this specific laptop. During gaming the laptop shuts down for no reason with no error messages and yes, I've looked through the event logs. I have other desktops and laptops  that run the same games with no issues. But the Asus G15 shuts down for no reason during intense game play.

And whats the difference between Asus-certified driver and the latest AMD driver? When I visit the support page for  this laptop it only displays Version V27.20.22001.24003. Why hasn't this updated certified driver been added to  the g15 support page?

Others with the same  issue - just an example:

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @Katoogan ,
AMD's official driver updates are designed to accommodate various graphics cards and laptops. While they typically provide the latest features and optimizations, they may not always account for the specific nuances of every laptop model.
The drivers available on the ASUS official website undergo testing and validation for product compatibility and stability. Since the primary goal of driver updates is to ensure the security and stability of the product system, when the drivers for a model have been thoroughly tested and are in a stable state, users experiencing issues with the latest driver version can revert to a stable version to test for compatibility issues. This is why frequent updates may not be released.
The cause of shut down issues can stem from either software or hardware. Since we cannot physically inspect your product on the forum, we can only perform tests and troubleshooting related to software or settings to pinpoint the issue, as in the example you provided. Ultimately, hardware-related problems require inspection to be identified. We appreciate your understanding

Thanks for the explanation,

I used the amdcleanuputility to remove the AMD drivers, and then I installed the ASUS-certified display driver version V30.0.13002.13003.

I encountered no issues when installing the ASUS drivers.  After I restarted the computer everything seemed fine for about 20 seconds, and then the connection to the external monitor was lost as well as USB connections and Bluetooth connections and the laptop was completely frozen.

After some investigating I noticed that these issues occurred as soon as the MediaTek WIFI started. Each time I restarted everything was fine for approx 20 seconds but as soon as the Mediatek wifi tried to connect to a wifi network, the system froze and all external connections stopped responding. I eventually reinstalled the AMD drivers (22.11.1) and  everything was back to normal. (I am using the ASUS chipset drivers)

So now I'm wondering if the MediaTek wifi nic is causing an issue with the graphics card ? The reason for asking is because the wifi card has always taken approx 20 sec to connect to a wifi network - maybe theres a conflict with wifi card that's causing the computer to shut  down under heavy  load? just a  thought.