cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rog Strix 16 2023 (13980HX) Core vs Package temperatures

Vdesign83
Level 9

Hi,

I had one more question regarding my CPU package temperature since it is always between 10 and 15 degrees higher than any of the cores.

Is this expected behavior for 13980hx?

Please check the attached picture - also using just 7 P cores or disabling the intel graphics does not affect it at all.

Thanks.

Screenshot 2023-11-15 122843.png

16 REPLIES 16

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hi,

The package temperature is an average taken from the hottest core over a certain polling period, so the behaviour is expected

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Hi,

can you elaborate a bit more on that - as the hottest core is 13 degrees below the package value? In fact the package is consistently leading ahead of the cores by that amount or more.

If I could get a technical answer that would be great.

thanks again

It represents a weighted average of the internal thermal sensors reported over a 256-ms period, but this may depend on the SKU. I wouldn't become too fixated on the values seen as there's nothing you can do to control the measurements (assuming they're within spec). Or you can contact Intel if you're looking for more specifics 👍

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058845/processors.html

"It represents a weighted average of the internal thermal sensors reported over a 256-ms period" - this would make sense if those sensors are not related to actual core temperatures, but rather something else.

Could be the surface of the package itself, but I don't know so I asked.- re-pasting is out of the question as the machine is under a 3 year extended warranty plan so I don't want to open it.

It depends how the data is weighted in order to determine accuracy, doesn't it

You can ask HWInfo authors but they will likely tell you the same thing.

No, sorry. It doesn't make sense to have a weighted average that is higher than the all of the actual sensor readings by a large margin.

But we wont be able to figure this out - so I would leave it as is I guess.

No need to be sorry, you’ll need to take it up with Intel as they designed it. As it’s determining the temperature of the package, certain considerations are probably taken into account of the weighting. I’m not sure what exactly you expect anyone else to say on the subject given some of it is probably proprietary and not disclosed publicly.

As I’ve already mentioned, nothing really to be gained with fixating on such things other than to gauge how we can improve them through cooling.

Silent_Scone_1-1700073462197.png

Hi, I will try to ask there too, but just to clarify - I was not able to find other examples of intel CPUs with the same problem, the 2 examples posted below are both Intel.

From what I saw so far this is likely a faulty sensor issue.

No, it will be by design.

It is a rabbit hole with no useful end for the end user. It could be how the DTS is calibrated for that SKU, or some vendors may offset the value in order to calibrate fan control. Whatever the reason, they don’t change the outcome, and neither can we. 👍