cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G16 STRIX SCAR randomly shutdown and restart during gaming

robyxbox
Level 7

So i have this ASUS G16 STRIX SCAR with 13980HX adn RTX4080 and 32 GB RAM, bought end of Nov 2023, i didn't played much only with Starcraft 2. Now i have started playing helldivers 2 and have updated all gaming drivers and so but this laptop keeps randomly restart, it completely shutdown and restart totally random. 

I have tried to play Turbo but this happens no matter what.

How should i solve this?

It 

15 REPLIES 15

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @robyxbox ,

Have you updated your BIOS to the latest version 324, and tested with the ASUS-certified NVIDIA Graphic Driver Version V31.0.15.4624 and Intel Graphic Driver Version V31.0.101.4502?

Please try setting the GPU in Armoury Crate to Ultimate mode during gaming to see if there's any improvement. Thank you.

Hi @Anbby_ROG

I've tried to disabile everyting this still happening. Randomly A PURE SHUTDOWN during game, it' pretty annoying, i'm playing helldivers 2 and SC2 and it's happening more frequently.

Armoury Crate GPU is on Ultimate

Drivers Nvidia are 31.0.15.5176

Drivers Intel UHD Graphics are 31.0.101.4502

BIOS is G634JZ.324 18/12/2023

Is it faulty do i need to take it to service

Best,

Rob

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @robyxbox ,

Please try replacing the NVIDIA Graphic Driver with the ASUS-validated Version V31.0.15.4624 and see if there's any improvement. 
Do you experience random shutdown issues in other games as well? How is the temperature performance of the GPU/CPU when playing "Helldivers 2" and "SC2"? Thank you.

I'm having the same issue with Helldivers 2 and Black Desert Online.  It just simply shuts off mid game.  Fan's on full blast.  I've already RMA'd this laptop once for a new mobo.  It's extremely disappointing as it's happening a few weeks outside the warranty window.

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @SizzFlair ,

I'm sorry to hear about your usage experience. Since you mentioned that the issue persists even after replacing the motherboard, could you please share more information about your laptop and provide additional context? If possible, recording a video would greatly assist us in further diagnosing your problem. Thank you.

Serial number:
RMA number:
BIOS version:
NVIDIA graphics card driver version:
Intel graphics card driver version:
Name of the game(s) experiencing issues: Helldivers 2, Black Desert Online
GPU and operating settings mode in Armoury Crate while playing games:
Are you using an external monitor?
Performance of GPU/CPU temperatures while playing games:
Are there any error messages displayed?

Serial number: R2NR___
RMA number: US__
BIOS version: 325
NVIDIA graphics card driver version: 552.12
Intel graphics card driver version: 31.0.101.4502
Name of the game(s) experiencing issues: Helldivers 2, Black Desert Online
GPU and operating settings mode in Armoury Crate while playing games: Ultimate
Are you using an external monitor? No
Performance of GPU/CPU temperatures while playing games: Avg 81C CPU.  Max 100C CPU.  AVG 82.2C GPU.  Max 89.3 GPU.
Are there any error messages displayed? No.  The computer shuts off like it lost power.

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @SizzFlair ,

Thank you for the reply. 

Please try rolling back to the NVIDIA display driver version V31.0.15.4624 verified by ASUS and see if there's any improvement. 

Additionally, besides Helldivers 2 and Black Desert Online, have you tested any other games? Please try using the iGPU and see if there's any improvement. Thank you.

No improvement withe driver rollback. iGPU is not powerful enough to get decent frames with these games.  The laptop shut down mid game in black desert online again and during the drop sequence of helldivers 2. Max cpu temp logged 100C and GPU 90C. Other less demanding or older games I have not experienced shut downs with so far.

Based on my research it boils down to cpu and/or gpu temps due to poor liquid metal applied by ASUS at factory.  Please advice for next step.

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @SizzFlair ,

Please be advised that I have obscured personal information (such as product serial numbers and repair numbers) mentioned in your public post to prevent misuse of personal data.

Regarding the overheating issue you mentioned, please connect the power, set the GPU in Armoury Crate to "Ultimate" mode, set the fan to manual mode, and adjust the CPU/GPU to 100%. Please download Hwinfo and FurMark, run Hwinfo, and record the log. Open FurMark, select 1024*768 and 8X MSAA, and execute the GPU stress test for 20-30 minutes. After the test, stop the Hwinfo log.
Please provide the Hwinfo log for further investigation. Thank you.