cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Browsing to router switches address from 192.168.1.1 to asusrouter.com and does not load

magarity
Level 8

My RT-AC68U has been doing this lately. What's with this redirect after the login screen? It just sits there and does nothing on a blank browser page after the router login. I have to turn off and back on the router and try again. After one login to the management page, I have to turn off / on cycle to log in the next time. How can I get it to log in reliably?

6 REPLIES 6

jzchen
Level 14

The latest BIOS/firmware update notes a login issue fix.  Try http://www.asusrouter.com

I’m not sure why just entering the router local IP address is an issue, that’s the way I prefer to log in, but I guess since older routers use 192.168.1.1 while newer ones use 192.168.50.1 they made it simpler by providing the “http://www.asusrouter.com” as a DNS listing to whichever is appropriate.

If that doesn’t work, (I honestly doubt it does but they claim so in the description,) you can revert back to the prior firmware.

Yeah actually this has only happened since I updated the firmware a few weeks ago. Maybe PiHole is unable to figure out the asusrouter.com address. What DNS are you using that it works for you?

No, I added asusrouter.com as a local address 192.168.1.1 and the browser redirects back and forth a few times then finally says cannot reach this page. Argh! What a horrible "solution"

magarity
Level 8

I went back to a prior version before the one commented about the asusrouter.com note. hope that works.

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I was doing a little research on PiHole as I didn’t even know what it is.

As my RT-AC68U has been a node in my network I think it’s not quite the same, BUT as I tried to access my AXE16000 via 192.168.50.1 I did notice it freeze on me today.  I don’t expect that as my laptop is wired Ethernet.  Definitely seems to be a bug in the more recent firmwares as one of the beta versions I tried knocked out every Ethernet port once, forcing me to flash firmware over WiFi as a last ditch effort…

I added www.asusrouter.com as a custom local DNS entry to 192.168.1.1 on my Pi-Hole DNS and now it is quite snappy, no problems. Whatever that address is trying to do on the internet is some kind of strangeness so just make it a local address.