cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus AiMesh Node (RP-AX56) - Keeps disconnecting

guruabyss
Level 10

AiMesh Router: RT-AX89X (Firmware: 3.0.0.4.386_47468-g73fe1fe) (Product Link: https://a.co/d/6GnccP6)
AiMesh Node: RP-AX56 (Firmware: 3.0.0.4.386_42862-ga9f43cc) (Product Link: https://a.co/d/1fL9diz)

Issue: Bought the RP-AX56 to expend my network, used WPS to quick connect to the node/ router. Worked great for two months. Today my routed needed to be rebooted. Noticed my node light blinking blue like if I actived the WPS button on the node but it wasn't connecting to the router, so I tapped the WPS button on my router and waited 5 min, Node didn't connect. Unplugged/ plugged back in the Node. Went from white light to blinking blue. Tapped the WPS button on the router, node light turns green. Hazzah. On or about 20 min later node disconnects and blinks blue again like it want's to connect to the router. Tap WPS button on Router. Node doesn't connect. Only time the node will connect back to the Router is if I unplug and plug back in the Node. Again it only lasts for 20-30min before it just disconnects.

Problem solving: I tried to factory reset the Node, no luck there. Tried a different power cable, that wasn't the issue. I have the late firmware for both the Node and the Router. Googled terms "ASUS RP-AX56 keeps disconnecting" and "ASUS AiMesh node keeps disconnecting" no such luck on this particular use case. Any clue what it could be?

57 REPLIES 57

For Step 4 the white LED quickly turns off, then blinks white for a little while, turns off again, then starts blinking white (not sure about this) and yellow (definitely some shade of this, I’m afraid I’m mildly red green colorblind and yellow is too close at times, especially if blinking rapidly).

I find if easier to add (as an AiMesh node) after blinking with yellow commences.  BUT last Thursday I found the Reset button worked.  (Shrugs)…

axiumone
Level 11

Well, same issue here. AX88U and the AX56. Completely WRECKED my apple home setup. Literally every asus device I have at home is broken, router, motherboard and monitor. GG

guruabyss
Level 10

ROUTER: AiMesh Router: RT-AX89X (Firmware: 3.0.0.4.386_47468-g73fe1fe) - Same as first post

NODE A: ASUS AX1800 Dual Band WiFi 6 (RP-AX56 - Factory Default Firmware)

NODE B: ASUS AX3000 Dual Band WiFi 6 (RP-AX58 - Factory Default Firmware)

Had a major T-storm so unplugged my electronics. Plugged everything back in and noticed my camera system wasn’t online. Now there’s issues again with the ROUTER/ NODE A. Plugged NODE A right next to the ROUTER.  NODE A boots up *white light” then it goes out for a second or so then it displayed a green light (connected to the router). Logged into the ROUTER under General > Network Map, in the middle/ bottom AiMesh Node: 0, on the right under ‘AiMesh’ I don’t NODE A. Held the WPS button on NODE A (blue blinking), hit the search button in the ROUTER settings under ‘AiMesh’ to see if it would discover the node, it did not, it said the following:

Unable to find any AiMesh node nearby.

a. If this device is assigned as a AiMesh router, please check the following and try again.

1. Your AiMesh node is powered on

2. Your AiMesh node has the latest firmware

3. Your AiMesh node has been reset to default

4. Move your AiMesh node close to the AiMesh router

b. If this device is assigned as a AiMesh node, please check the following and try again.

1. Push the reset button on this device and then wait.

2. Login to your AiMesh router GUI and click on the AiMesh

icon.

3. Upgrade your AiMesh router's firmware if you cannot find the AiMesh icon on the router GUI.

I then factory reset NODE A and started the same process again. This time during AiMesh search in the ROUTER software it found NODE A, GREAT! Clicked NODE A in the ROUTER software and a % from 0 - 100 started. Thinking it would of connected since it displayed that it saw NODE A, nope, I got the following:

Unable to add your AiMesh node RP-AX56 (some long alpha/num) to your AiMesh system due to the following situations. Please check and try again.

1. Someone else is trying to set up an AiMesh system. Please wait 1 minute and try again.

2. your AiMesh router and node should be within 3 meters of each other during the setup process.

3. Make sure your AiMesh node is powered on.

4. Your AiMesh node has been upgraded to AiMesh-supported firmware.

5. Your AiMesh node has been reset to default

I then tried holding down the WPS button on the ROUTER then on NODE A to see if it maybe it would connect that way. Same results, light turns green, check to see if it shows up in the ROUTER software but it’s still now showing up. Restarted my ROUTER and tried the above all over again with the same results. 

Onto the next steps…

1. Bought two new power strips (just in case)

2. Bought two new Cat cables (just in case)

3. Bought a new upgrade ASUS: NODE B

I tried the above again with the new node, NODE B, I bought and hardware (1 & 2) held down the search button on NODE B (blue blinking light), hit search in the ROUTERs software, still not found. Tried holding the WPS button on the ROUTER thinking NODE B’s light would turn green, still just blinking blue, won’t connect. Then I tried saving out my prefs and factory resetting my ROUTER. After factory reset I added my profile back and tried again. Still nothing. NODE A still connects (green light) doesn’t show up in the ROUTER software, NODE B still just blinking blue. I do see however under General > Network Map, on the right under ‘Client statusNODE A in the ‘Wired’ Tab. It has an IP and everything, how can the router see NODE A there but not under 'AiMesh Node'? Why won’t NODE B connect at all but NODE A will??

One more odd thing that it does sometimes when searching for the Node in the ROUTERs software it will auto log me out of the ROUTERs software. Why would it do that??

IMG_0925.jpeg

I checked and that is latest firmware for RT-AX89X.  Please check for and update firmware for RP-AX56 and RP-AX58.

For hard reset of the nodes:

Unplug from power outlet.

Press WPS button and HOLD.

Plug into outlet keep holding WPS.  It will very soon start blinking white.  Keep holding WPS button until it stops then it will start blinking alternating white/yellow (not sure these colors but it will blink again).  Unplug and release WPS.  Plug back in.

Use AiMesh search function on RT-AX89X to find node.

(You should be able to do all this while Ethernet cable is connected between LAN port and port on RP.  Hopefully it can find it with Ethernet outlet image).

z3thor
Level 7

Well I have probably found a solution. I did these steps and the node is running fine:

1. Remove the node from the network AiMesh (the node must be connected during this, so if your node stays connected only few minutes after its restart, you have to make this done during these 5 minutes). Remember, this will initiate a factory reset of this node, all setings will be cleared.

2. Download the firmware from here https://www.asus.com/networking-iot-servers/range-extenders/all-series/rp-ax56/helpdesk_bios/?model2... - specifically this version 3.0.0.4.386.42860 - direct link https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RP-AX56/FW_RP_AX56_300438642860.zip?model=RP-AX56. My node had 3.0.0.4.386.42862 version during these disconnecting problems, which is different (see the number 2 on the end), so this step will downgrade it (don't worry, it's safe). BTW it's strange and it might cause this whole problem - my theory is that AX56 downloaded 42862 automatic update which may cause these difficulties. Rolling back to 42860 seems to be helpful

3. Add the node to your AiMesh network

4. Upload the firmware 3.0.0.4.386.42860

After this my node seems to be stable several hours (until that it has been disconnecting in cca 5 mins after restart and the light indication was red).

I am adding two screenshots (before and after firmware upload) while managing the AX56 node using GT-AX11000 router to see the difference in the AX56 firmware versions.

I hope it helps.

Before flashing firmware - problematic stateBefore flashing firmware - problematic stateAfter flashing firmware - stable stateAfter flashing firmware - stable state

jzchen
Level 14

3.0.0.4.386.51891 is flashed on mine found available on iOS app… 

LeifStyleDK
Level 7

Hi, all.
Great thread here for a crappy problem that ASUS could've saved us from.
Good to see so many dedicated users trying to help each other. Big up for that!

I've, of course, had the same problem as everyone else, and I just reset my RP-AX56,
and added it to my AiMesh, and it looks promising so far. Current firmware is 3.0.0.4.386_42860-gcedf3e6, but apparently there's a new firmware update, that I've googled with no results: 3.0.0.4.386_51891-g12b4ca4
I'm not going to get that update just yet, at least not until I know a bit more. It was just release today, but I couldn't find it on the Global/English ASUS site, but when I switched to the Danish website, it showed up.

Firmware usually appears available on ASUSwrt checking the servers or similarly on the ASUS router app, prior to them being made available on the ASUS websites.  In this case it took about a day to be put on the ASUS.com/us website.  I had one incident within the last week or so where the Ethernet backhauled RP-AX56 went offline (also with the elusive -42862).  Solution was to unplug then plug it back in all while I left the Ethernet cable connected.

My RP-AX56 is installed specifically to serve a hard to reach Rheem WiFi controlled water heater, but most of the time I don’t see anything connected to it.  (Unfortunately I find the network map/list unreliable).

So far it has kept uplink but nothing has connected, typical of past node firmware updates:  for a (little) while there’s a delay before devices connect back to a recently updated node.