cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z790e Gaming Wi-Fi w/ i9 14900k | Keep Stability without power limit throttling?

NoAce4U
Level 7

So recently there was an update that correctly addressed the issues with stability for i9 14900k's.

I'm curious if anyone has found a way to keep it stable while still enjoying 0 throttle. 

Currently my CPU will throttle based on power limits every single time.

5 REPLIES 5

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hi @NoAce4U 

What applications are you throttling in? Sounds like a potential cake and eat it situation you're describing if the CPU is trying to stay within the designated amperage / PL targets.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Hey @Silent_Scone ,

I see my message was pretty basic and lacking some context. PL1 & PL2 set to 253. Anything higher, obviously not recommended by intel, causes out of video issues in UE5 based games. Issue lies where I'm not able to get the boost clock speeds I'm expecting. Under load I'll be good to get 5.2ghz P-core with almost 100% PL throttle. 

Which game in particular? If the amperage / PL limit is exceeded then the CPU will throttle accordingly.

I originally encountered the issue with Fortnite. Which then evolved into Gray Zone Warfare. Without the 253 PL limits you get a lot of out of video memory errors ect.  I understand that if the PL limit is met it will throttle. The main issue is anything over the 253 causes these out of video memory errors, ect. 

I want to be able to boost this CPU to the 5.7 - 6 ghz range but I am unable to without running into these issues. 

Setting boost PL higher I can reach these clock speeds.... But then run into the out of video memory errors.

This also is linked to AVX2 tests failing. 

It sounds like you want a mix of stock behaviour and OC parameters/ Multi Core Enhancement behaviour.

You're likely seeing the stock boost behaviour, rather than any PL limits.

Try

1. Setting ASUS OC Profile

2. Extreme Tweaker > Set Short Power Duration 253w / Long Power Duration 253w

3. Extreme Tweaker > Set Max Current Limit 400A

4. Extreme Tweaker > Unlimited ICC Max Disabled

Retest stabilty.