cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z790-H 13900k constant BSODs during Windows installation

Exorgistis
Level 9

I recently got a new PC, and after a month of instability and BSODs I have the following problems:

I’m not to install Windows anymore (both Windows 10 or 11 through USB) because of BSOD at the start of the installation. Most of the times, the BSOD comes right before the step you chose the hard drive you want to install windows on. The BSODs were variant and not specific so, writing all the different codes would take 20 - 30 years. Also, most of the times I tried to install windows 10, I got this message on the posted screenshot 

IMG_2684.jpeg

Tests I was able to do:

1. Updated BIOS from he original 0807 the motherboard came with up to 0904, one by one.

2. Completed the memtest included in the bios with all results being ok.

3. Used a single stick of my pair of RAM, both of them as single units.

4. Removed the extra 2.5” SSDs and kept only the 2 M.2 Gen4 SSDs.

5. Changed the position of the M.2s on the motherboard.

6. Rotated the pump of EK’s AIO for even spread/pressure.

7. Removed and checked all pins on CPU and socket

IMG_2682.jpeg

IMG_2678.jpeg

IMG_2679.jpeg

IMG_2680.jpeg

The only time I managed to complete an installation, was with manually changing the CPU to work all p-cores on 4800 and e-cores on auto and RAM manually to 4800 also. Even then, after a complete installation of Armory Crate, FanXpert wont install and keeps asking for update.

PC Parts: 

Mobo: Asus Z790-H Gaming Wifi

CPU: 13900k

RAM: GSkill 32 (2x16) 7200/34 (F5-7200J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK)

CPU Cooler: EK Nucleus 360

SSD 1: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB

SSD 2: Kingston KC3000 PCIe 4 2Tb

PSU: Corsair RM1000x

www.intellence.eu
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

I forgot to add it, that I followed the inscribed procedure of updating ME first, then update to 0904.

Also, my memory is included in the QVL provided in ASUS's site (for the specific moboF5-7200J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK.
The only update I have until and might help others, I managed to install Windows 11 following these steps:
1) Loaded BIOS 0807 that came with the motherboard
2) Kept all default settings on 13900K and the memory with XMP Disabled
3) After Windows 11 finalized, I agreed to install Armoury Crate and never updated mobo's drivers through it.
4) Downloaded all drivers from ASUS's site and installed all one by one.
5) After the restart, I let Armoury Crate install any updates it found.
6) After Windows update (I never installed the optional driver updates from microsoft regarding the chipset)
7) Started testing higher settings one by one on manual sertings of the RAM and CPU.
I reached 58/55 by AI on CPU and 7000 on the RAM (100:100) and works pretty steady on either VRAY rendering or GAMES until now. The thing that bothers me is that I bought a QVL Certified RAM  for 7200 but if  I enable the XMP profile it includes I get BSODs even on Windows installations....

When everything was installed and finished by Armoury Crate, FanXpert was not installing for no reason whatsoever. I found the installation .exe file in the folder C:\Program Files\ASUS\RLSDownload\FanXpert and I installed it manually. I don't think that this has to do anything with my main problem, but since this was a guide and you might run into this problem too, I add it here.

www.intellence.eu

View solution in original post

Exorgistis
Level 9

Update and solution:

Today, I moved my 13900k to another Z790 motherboard and then all BSODs started on that computer too. So, by now I know this was a faulty CPU. I'll start an RMA on the CPU and so, no extra info required regarding the motherboard for now.

www.intellence.eu

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @Exorgistis .

May I ask if you have updated Intel ME before updating the BIOS?
According to the BIOS 0904 version of the ROG STRIX Z790-H GAMING WIFI, the Intel ME Update Tool is required if your ME firmware version is not 16.1.25.2124.
If you have not updated ME yet, please update it to 16.1.25.2124 first and then check again.

Jiaszzz_ROG_0-1683534281918.png

Meanwhile, according to the ROG STRIX Z790-H GAMING WIFI support page, the GSkill 32 (2x16) 7200/34 (F5-7200J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK) appears not to be listed in the QVL list.

Jiaszzz_ROG_1-1683534471500.png

It is recommended that you cross-test the memory in the QVL list.

Thank you.

I forgot to add it, that I followed the inscribed procedure of updating ME first, then update to 0904.

Also, my memory is included in the QVL provided in ASUS's site (for the specific moboF5-7200J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK.
The only update I have until and might help others, I managed to install Windows 11 following these steps:
1) Loaded BIOS 0807 that came with the motherboard
2) Kept all default settings on 13900K and the memory with XMP Disabled
3) After Windows 11 finalized, I agreed to install Armoury Crate and never updated mobo's drivers through it.
4) Downloaded all drivers from ASUS's site and installed all one by one.
5) After the restart, I let Armoury Crate install any updates it found.
6) After Windows update (I never installed the optional driver updates from microsoft regarding the chipset)
7) Started testing higher settings one by one on manual sertings of the RAM and CPU.
I reached 58/55 by AI on CPU and 7000 on the RAM (100:100) and works pretty steady on either VRAY rendering or GAMES until now. The thing that bothers me is that I bought a QVL Certified RAM  for 7200 but if  I enable the XMP profile it includes I get BSODs even on Windows installations....

When everything was installed and finished by Armoury Crate, FanXpert was not installing for no reason whatsoever. I found the installation .exe file in the folder C:\Program Files\ASUS\RLSDownload\FanXpert and I installed it manually. I don't think that this has to do anything with my main problem, but since this was a guide and you might run into this problem too, I add it here.

www.intellence.eu

DDR5.png

www.intellence.eu

Exorgistis
Level 9

I add some info regarding the problem mentioned above:

I run memtest through BIOS and got these results.

IMG_2805.jpeg

 I already contacted the store I bought the ram and sent it back for RMA. Since I don’t have any spare DDR5, I cannot test any further but wait until G.Skill sends a new pair.

www.intellence.eu

Exorgistis
Level 9

Update to the problems I have:

After completing all tests with the embedded Memtest with the results given above, I tried to change my RAM with another set that are also included in the QVL from both Asus and Kingston (Kingston Fury Beast 16GB KF552C40BBK2-16) but still the problem keeps getting worst with BSODs.
Now, by the time the Windows USB stick is read for starting the Windows installation (3 different usb sticks used either for Windows 10 or Windows 11), I get a BSOD at the first steps. Either when I choose the clean volume of the drive that I want to install windows to, either right after it, when it starts installing it after this step.
The codes of the BSODs each time differ each time. In Microsoft support they, claimed that since Windows are not installed yet, I should check for hardware issues. So I did the following checks:
1) Used the new pair of RAM
2) Used each of my two M.2 (gen.4) SSDs (Samsung 980 PRO and Kingston KC3000)
3) Removed the GPU and used only 13900k's integrated graphics
4) Used only a cheap simple USB wired keyboard and mouse

No results...
I'm not able to test another CPU because I do not have any spare for the socket and I cannot risk someone else's CPU on a motherboard that I'm afraid is dying day by day.
All I'm concerned now is whether I should ask for an RMA from Asus directly or return it to the e-shop I initially purchased the motherboard, because of two reasons:
1) I never had any issues with Asus products in the past 25 years that I work as an IT, so I do not know how Asus handles its RMAs.
2) When I asked from G.Skill on an RMA regarding the RAM I used on this build, they approved it within 2 hours but ask for an  insurance courier delivery of at least 96€ from Greece to Netherlands which is totally unacceptable.
If any admins can help me with the RMA procedure, please reply ASAP because this PC is owned by a company and it's useless from the day we bought it.

www.intellence.eu

Exorgistis
Level 9

Update and solution:

Today, I moved my 13900k to another Z790 motherboard and then all BSODs started on that computer too. So, by now I know this was a faulty CPU. I'll start an RMA on the CPU and so, no extra info required regarding the motherboard for now.

www.intellence.eu