cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z790 DARK HERO BIOS 1302 - LOGO PATCH BSOD WITH MULTI-BOOT SETUP

achugh
Level 12

Dear Support,

I recently tried to install Windows 11 on another hard disk (I already have a working Windows 11 installation on my NVMe M2.2_2) on Z790 DARK HERO board so that I can use this 2nd install (on SATA 2nd port) as my test setup for me to constantly wipe and install fresh Windows 11. This way I can help provide accurate information to ASUS support teams for troubleshooting purposes while having a working machine with whatever works as I wait for the issue to be understood and resolved.

The moment I started this 2nd installation, after the initial file copying and first REBOOT, I started to get Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) and the installer will not continue.

achugh_0-1718988010259.jpeg

After pressing ESC key and couple of reboots later, I end up on 

achugh_1-1718988051788.jpeg

which continues to throw the previous BSOD error. 

After much trial and error I figured out that the default BIOS Boot is setup as shown here

achugh_2-1718988185887.jpg

This needs to be changed to 

achugh_3-1718988240756.jpeg

Basically, I needed to disable ASUS LOGO Patch as it is not supporting the DUAL Boot feature of Windows Boot Loader. Windows Boot loader works totally fine once BOOT LOGO DISPLAY is disabled.

Can ASUS fix their LOGO PATCHER to support DUAL BOOT or MULTI-BOOT setup for Windows Boot loader?

Also I was hoping that in my boot configuration I will see both my disks to choose which disk I would like to boot from but what I noticed is that the boot information is fixed to my 1st Windows installation disk and then the 2nd installation is added into this same partition of the primary disk. It is just different from what I was expecting. My main issue is the LOGO PATCHER is not supporting MULTI-BOOT configuration and that is not documented and mentioned anywhere for anyone to know how to get around this issue.

Disclaimer: I am not an ASUS support person so my information may be incomplete. Always follow official documentation and material provided by ASUS representatives.

INTEL i9-14900K / CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB 192GB (4x48GB) 5200 CAS38 / ROG Z790 DARK HERO / ROG TUF GAMING RTX 4090 OC / ProArt PA-602 Case / SEASONIC PRIME TX-1300 ATX 3.0 / CORSAIR MP700 PRO 2TB PCIe Gen5 / CRUCIAL T500 2TB PCIe Gen4 / EIZO CG2700X
6 REPLIES 6

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @achugh 

May I ask, does this issue occur after updating to BIOS 1302, and which BIOS versions have you tried before this?
According to your description, you have successfully installed a second system drive and can boot into the system with dual systems by disabling the ASUS LOGO Patch.
Could you please share the following details:
- the slots on the motherboard where the SSD/HDD and system drives are installed
- are all hardware specifications consistent with those provided in your other discussion thread?

Regarding the booting issue, it seems that Windows Boot Manager may not be executing correctly at startup.
We recommend clearing CMOS and checking again, and try reinstalling the system if necessary.

Thank you.

sharing complete hardware info & software config details will help us better understand the issue 🙂

Hi @Jiaszzz_ROG 

This is my first time trying a dual boot setup with BIOS 1302. I have only attempted this setup as I was not able to use my newly built machine by constantly formatting and starting fresh in order to provide required details in the discussion thread you linked (issues and enhancement for Realtek Driver).

My setup details are in https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/gaming-motherboards/can-asus-support-fix-realtek-audio-drivers-with-bo... post.

My main Windows 11 on VOLUME 5 (as shown in the picture in my first post) is installed on M.2_2 Slot with PCIe GEN4 coming from CPU.

My secondary Test Windows 11 installation on VOLUME 9 (as shown in the picture in my first post) that I just created is on SATA port 2 on a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB drive.

Regarding Clearing CMOS data, on the Z790 DARK HERO board I am not able to find any PINS to short circuit as mentioned in this FAQ article. There is a CLR_CMOS button on the REAR I/O. This button is shown on page 1-18 of the user manual. The manual states to press and hold this button to clear CMOS "Only when the system hangs due to overclocking". There is also no mention of the time to hold this button down as well as when to hold it down (like hold it down and then press the power on button etc.) Can you please share Z790 DARK HERO board instructions to clear CMOS?

I also read the Microsoft Article you linked. It seems the "OEM UEFI Application" being mentioned in GREEN color is the ASUS Boot Loader which is being controlled via the FAST BOOT and LOGO DISPLAY options in the BIOS. I believe this is the ASUS UEFI application that responds to DEL and F2 keys to get into BIOS or F3 for EZ Flash or F4 to load USB UEFI Loader etc. When I disable them both these options in BIOS then this OEM UEFI APPLICATION from ASUS acts as a passthrough and does not do anything. In this mode everything works properly. When these options are used, then the data and information ASUS UEFI Loader passes to the Microsoft UEFI Boot Loader is not fully understood by the Windows Boot Loader and it keeps on crashing.

At this point, I believe the issue is with the ASUS data handoff to Windows Boot Loader and not in the Windows Boot Loader. My reasons for these thoughts are as follows:

1. When these options are disabled in BIOS then everything works which makes be believe that Windows Boot Loader is working as designed and is supporting multi-boot as designed. There would be lot more chatter over the internet if Windows Boot Loader has issues with multi-boot as lot of people specially the testers and developers use multi-boot to do their day to day jobs. They all will be affected if there are issues with Windows supporting multi-boot.
  2. Z790 DARK HERO BIOS 0801 fixed a Logo issue, see below the screen shot of the details in this version. This makes me believe that this multi-boot could be another issue that requires ASUS UEFI development team to address. For now, anyone can follow the workaround I mentioned if they run into this issue but it will be really nice if ASUS development team can fix this issue either as another BIOS update or working with Microsoft to fix any issue in the Microsoft side of things to help consumers like me.
    achugh_0-1719287283790.png

Looking forward to detailed instructions to Clear CMOS on Z790 DARK HERO board.

Disclaimer: I am not an ASUS support person so my information may be incomplete. Always follow official documentation and material provided by ASUS representatives.

INTEL i9-14900K / CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB 192GB (4x48GB) 5200 CAS38 / ROG Z790 DARK HERO / ROG TUF GAMING RTX 4090 OC / ProArt PA-602 Case / SEASONIC PRIME TX-1300 ATX 3.0 / CORSAIR MP700 PRO 2TB PCIe Gen5 / CRUCIAL T500 2TB PCIe Gen4 / EIZO CG2700X

achugh
Level 12

Hi @Jiaszzz_ROG 

Continuing my response to your message https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/gaming-motherboards/can-asus-uefi-bios-for-diy-motherboards-allow-conf... regarding Boot Configurations

Could you please provide the current Windows 11 Pro 23H2 build version, and are all hardware specifications consistent with those provided in your other discussion thread?

Here's the Windows System ABOUT information screen as requested.

achugh_0-1719868866440.png

YES, all my hardware information is exactly as listed in that discussion thread you referenced. No change to any information. My Primary BOOT device is on M.2_2 and my secondary boot device is PORT 2 on SATA.

In device manager my screen looks like below where DISK 5 is my M.2_2 with primary Windows installation and DISK 1 with label WINTEST is on my SATA PORT 2 where I installed the additional/secondary windows for testing.

achugh_1-1719869580951.png

Also in the registry this SATA PORT 2 where I did the additional Windows install shows up as

Screenshot 2024-07-01 173531.png

Regarding your reference to the documentation with respect to BOOT DEVICE PRIORITY, I looked into it a lot when I was facing this problem and I can only select the priority between the supported categories like HDD, USB, NETWORK etc. but not within a given category like I cannot choose; try NVMe first followed by SATA or SATA first then try NVMe within the HDD category.

Please see https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-install-and-use-two-separate-windows-11... thread and I would love for ASUS UEFI to support this model. In this thread GREG is suggesting TWO possible options.

OPTION 1 (Each drive is unplugged and then Windows is installed) - This is the same as each drive will have the MULTIPLE Windows partitions on them that get created by Windows and in this case as a user I would choose the drive to boot from BIOS (I would like NOT to disconnect my drives to make it easier). This requires ASUS SUPPORT as it is NOT happening today which you can see in my DISK MANAGEMENT picture I shared. DISK 1 with WINTEST label has ONLY 1 PARTITION as it shares the boot loader from DISK 5. When this style is supported both theses disks will have standard Windows partitions on them as they will have their own boot loaders.

OPTION 2 (Multi-boot is controlled by Primary Boot Device) - This is what I see happening since in Z790 DARK HERO BIOS 1302 I cannot individually select by BOOT Drive, my boot loader is now on my M.2_2 Drive which is represented by DISK 5 in the screenshot. 

As this article and the link in this article talks about, the disadvantage of OPTION 2 is if this M.2_2 drives goes bad now my whole setup which includes by secondary Windows has gone bad and is not accessible because the boot loader is on the drive that has gone bad. This is avoided if the BIOS provides proper boot drive selection so that in this unfortunate event of drive going bad, I can quickly select my secondary drive to boot into and still access all the data from other drives.

I hope it is now clear as to what I would like ASUS UEFI BIOS to support. I understand this is a FEATURE REQUEST and could take time. So my request in the priority order is as follows:

1st FIX - Avoid these BSOD to fix the currently supported multi-boot style i.e. OPTION 2 because this is how things are already working.

2nd Enhancement - As an enhancement provided proper boot device selection in the boot configuration where I can individually select the detected drive(s) to set my boot order in order to support OPTION 1 style of multi-boot.

Let me know what additional information is needed from me to make these request clear for the ASUS DEVELOPMENT teams.

achugh
Level 12

Here are my BIOS screens with regards to boot configurations in case they are needed as well.

The screen below is my EzMenu screen

achugh_0-1719877456911.jpeg

On this EzMenu when I press F8 key to get into Boot Menu, I see the below screen

achugh_1-1719877497632.jpeg

Next if I press ESC key to cancel out of this screen and then press F7 to go back into Advanced Menu. Then I pressed my RIGHT ARROW key to navigate over to BOOT menu and it looks like below

achugh_2-1719877583867.jpeg

Now that I have highlighted BOOT CONFIGURATION, I pressed the ENTER key to get to the details of this screen and this is how it looks like.

achugh_0-1719877782153.jpeg

NOTE: Due to these BSD of I have disabled the FAST BOOT and BOOT DISPLAY LOGO as these items cause a crash.

Can I also request an additional feature?

Once Fast Boot and Logo Display is DISABLED, the AMI BIOS screen is shown with basic information. This screen does not show any of the available function keys that can be used i.e. DEL or F2 to enter BIOS, EZ BIOS Update for F3 and USB UEFI Boot for F4 which are shown when FAST BOOT and LOGO DISPLAY are ENABLED.

On all of my other laptops and computers when logos are disabled, the supported KEYS are still shown as the LAST LINE on the screen to remind people which keys can be pressed. It seems ASUS DEVELOPMENT team is focused on LOGO DISPLAY based systems. Can you add this additional line at the bottom of the AMI screen as well as a legacy/traditional BIOS screen?

achugh
Level 12

Hi @Jiaszzz_ROG , I came across the 2nd screenshot in https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/gaming-motherboards/rog-strix-z790-f-gaming-wifi-won-t-boot-up/m-p/101... showing the OPTION 2 style of multi-boot I mentioned here.

So, it seems my issues are now related to Multi-Boot configuration of Windows Installations only like 2 or more Windows installation is an issue. If it is different OSes, I am going to assume that works because of this screenshot showing Ubuntu and Windows both installed they way I prefer.

Can Multi-Windows boot also be supported? When new versions of Windows come out, it is the preferred way to test it out besides creating Virtual Machines.

achugh
Level 12

Hi @Jiaszzz_ROG In order show this problem via VIDEO RECORDING, please see my primary windows installation that was recorded as part of https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/gaming-motherboards/can-asus-support-fix-realtek-audio-drivers-with-bo... post with links to the recorded material.

Here, I am showing what happens when a 2nd Windows installation is done on a different physical drive which can be seen in https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r1Xi4hGdud1Lkn_G5csLqJdxIXRh5DXs/view?usp=sharing recording for development team to review so that they can help fix this issue.