cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X790 Dark Hero USB ports and thunderbolt issues

greggyp89
Level 8

I have updated the bios chipset and drivers. All of my USB ports on my motherboard and case are operating at USB 2 speeds. I went to a forum on Asus and downloaded the latest thunderbolt driver. Nothing seems to be working and my card speed is being gimped. I built this computer for productivity and it is taking me 2 hours to move a 4K video over to my hard drive. I have spent all day trying to fix it. Not sure what to do now... Anyone have any advice. Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @greggyp89 

May I inquire about your current BIOS version and how you verify USB transfer speeds?
Could you kindly provide details on the device currently connected via USB, the USB driver version, screenshots of the transfer speed, and information on the tested ports?
To avoid any confusion, please provide the mentioned details separately or offer textual descriptions.
Meanwhile, as we have observed repetitive posting, we recommend using this thread as the primary avenue for communication:
Z790 dark hero USB speeds all over the place. Enabling XMP makes it USB 2
If you have any updates or discussions related to this matter, please update in this thread to avoid confusion or information gaps.
As the ROG forum specializes in discussions related to the ROG and TUF Gaming series products, we kindly ask you to prioritize posting threads on the forum for any future relevant discussions.

Thank you.

Due to the ongoing regional holidays, my responses may be slightly delayed.
Thank you in advance for your patience.‌‌‌‌ 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @greggyp89 

May I inquire about your current BIOS version and how you verify USB transfer speeds?
Could you kindly provide details on the device currently connected via USB, the USB driver version, screenshots of the transfer speed, and information on the tested ports?
To avoid any confusion, please provide the mentioned details separately or offer textual descriptions.
Meanwhile, as we have observed repetitive posting, we recommend using this thread as the primary avenue for communication:
Z790 dark hero USB speeds all over the place. Enabling XMP makes it USB 2
If you have any updates or discussions related to this matter, please update in this thread to avoid confusion or information gaps.
As the ROG forum specializes in discussions related to the ROG and TUF Gaming series products, we kindly ask you to prioritize posting threads on the forum for any future relevant discussions.

Thank you.

Due to the ongoing regional holidays, my responses may be slightly delayed.
Thank you in advance for your patience.‌‌‌‌ 🙂

My bios was just updated last week when I built the computer 0801. I am verifying USB speeds by watching a terabyte of files go from the card reader to Windows file explorer and taking 3 hours. Lol I also use crystal disc to bench my drives. Everything seems to check out except the USBC ports. When I plug the card reader into a thunderbolt port it shows up in device manager with a driver from 2006. I have downloaded the latest thunderbolt driver and drivers from ASUS armory crate and then online to double check. It's a very strange situation. I will update once I get my computer back together. I already answered the post that was different from this one I'm sorry. I am seeing people's post from 2020 and 2021 with the same exact issue. So I want to make sure I can use features I needed with this extreme motherboard. It is very important to me and the work that I am doing.