cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi adapter missing / not working on boot - works on restart

jangles
Level 7

Recently when I boot up wifi is not an option. It seems to only show up again after restarting. I've tried turning off fast start but no results.

Anyone have reco's how to resolve this?

6 REPLIES 6

Saltgrass
Level 13

I have one system that does something like that but all I have to do is disable and enable the device in the Device Manager.

When you say boot up, does it make any difference if it is a restart or a cold boot.

Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

jangles
Level 7

Thanks for your reply. Hmm, possibly. It definitely happens on cold boot, then both today and yesterday I tried to reinstall the driver (but the exe doesn't open) and restart. Then wifi is working.

I don't believe the wifi device shows up in device manager when it's not working. Windows doesn't show any sign that it has wifi in the settings.

You might try turning of Fast Startup which is on the control panel-Power Options-choose what the power buttons do.

Open Device Manager and set the View to see hidden devices.  You can uninstall from there, if it shows.  Check the box to remove all drivers.

I like to install Wi-Fi drivers while offline.  Download the one you want, then go offline and not back online until the driver is installed.

Here is mine but it won't look exactly like yours.

Saltgrass_1-1705617253454.png

Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

jangles
Level 7

Thanks for the details. It seems consistently working on restart but not cold boot. I think this is a windows update issue. I couldn't find the fast boot option but know it's in the bios and will try that later.

I'm going to upgrade to Windows 11 this week to see if it fixes it.

The "Fast Startup" is in the Control Panel-Power Options, Choose what the power buttons do.  Click on the shield to change the settings.

Most systems do have the same type of setting in the firmware but that does not control this situation.

Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

jangles
Level 7

Thanks for sharing details again. I was able to get the "fast start" buttons to appear after enabling hibernate.

I just upgraded to Win 11 and the issue still persists. It is confirmed NO wifi on boot-up, but works after restart.