cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck at PCI-E Gen2

_Milos
Level 7

aight, so, a couple of days ago, i found out my gpu is running @ x8 2.0, my motherboard supports upto pci-e gen 3, I've tried changing my power plan in windows, changing the peg link speed to gen3, reinstalling windows, reseating the graphics card and cleaning the pins with an eraser, flashing the bios and also tried a previous version of the bios but still no luck, unfortunately a lot of game stutters and lags (i get less than 100 fps on cs and wreckfest runs at around 15 fps) and I've been using the pc like this unknowingly for a year, can anyone help me to figure out what's going on or how can i fix this...

and also a weird problem, the latest and the 2nd latest version of the bios fails to detect my gpu, it doesn't even post, if i connect my hdmi to the motherboard, it does boot but it doesn't detect the gpu at all, even in the graphics card info tab in bios, it shows nothing is connected to the pcie slot, luckily the previous versions detects the gpu just fine...

My specs:
i5 9400
ROG STRIX B365-G Gaming
2x corsair vengeance rgb pro 8 gb 3200 mhz
Sapphire Pulse Radeon Rx 6600
256 gb m.2 nvme ssd (2280)

6 REPLIES 6

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @_Milos .

May I ask what kind of software or hardware you were operating before discovering this situation?
Please first check whether your memory model is listed in the QVL list of the motherboard, confirm whether it is installed in DIMM_B2, A2 slot, and cross-test both PCIe 3.0 x16_1 and 2 slots after clearing CMOS.
If the above tests cannot eliminate the problem, please provide the following information:
- the current BIOS version and images of the settings in BIOS (or whether it is the default)
- the OS version and OS build
- the brand and model name PSU currently installed
Please cross test other memories on the QVL list if possible.

Thank you.

aight, I've been facing the performance issues for about an year until i stumbled upon a post which told me to check the PCI-E bandwidth, i used the latest version of gpu-z to check what gen it was running on, turning on the render test doesn't seem to change anything. The memory (CMW8GX4M1E3200C16) I'm using isn't listed in the QVL list, and yes both of them are installed in the B2 and A2 slot. Unfortunately I'm using a small case and thus can't install the gpu on the PCIe 3.0 x16_2, the current bios version is 1602, I've tried all previous version, doesn't seem to help, even tried changing the peg and pcie link speed to Gen3 from auto, still no luck, changing the bios settings doesn't seem to help, and also, if i install the bios version 2201 or 2208, it causes the motherboard to not detect the gpu, no display/no gpu info in the bios, I'm currently on windows 10 pro (22H2), tried reinstalling windows but unfortunately no luck, the psu is gamdias kratos e1 500w...

_Milos
Level 7

IMG_20230322_145604.png

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @_Milos .

Could you cross-test other GPUs to see whether others, such as the 3080, can run X16?

Thank you.

it's the only gpu i have and it's a x8 4.0 card and I'm pretty sure a different x16 card would work just fine, what I'm having issues with is i can't get my motherboard to work in PCIe gen3 speeds

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @_Milos .

After detailed confirmation, the bus interface of Sapphire Pulse Radeon Rx 6600 is only PCIe 4.0x8.
Please refer to the spec of the Sapphire official website.
>> PULSE AMD Radeon™ RX 6600
Therefore, it is normal to only run X8.

Jiaszzz_ROG_0-1680098163171.png

Thank you.