cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix Z790-F Gaming Wifi USB current over status detected

junyig
Level 7

Hi, I've recently been experiencing an issue that failed to boot. It shows the USB current over status detected after the bios screen.  I've updated the BIOS to the latest version, cleared CMOS, and tried removing all USB connections including the front panel connections. But none of these works.

But I accidentally found that unplugging the motherboard power supply and re-plugging it solved the issue - temporarily. It will still be triggered randomly after a few weeks and I have no idea about the reason. Does anyone have any ideas or do I have to send it back for RMA? This is my only working PC, so I have to buy another motherboard if I send it back to RMA. Any advice will be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @junyig 

Could you confirm the circumstances under which the "fail to boot" issue occurs, such as whether it happens after updating the BIOS or connecting an external USB device?
When you press the power button, does the CPU fan not spin, and are there no LEDs or RGB lights on the motherboard, or does the system fail to boot into the OS but can still enter the BIOS?
Based on your description, we recommend cross-testing with another PSU and checking the ROG STRIX Z790-F GAMING WIFI manual to ensure all hardware, chassis, and power cables are correctly connected.
If necessary, you can try testing in an isolated environment with a bare-board test, install only the CPU on the motherboard, use integrated graphics for display, install a single RAM stick in the DIMM_A2 slot, and connect the PSU to see if it can boot and enter the system.

Thank you.

Due to the ongoing regional holidays, my responses may be slightly delayed.
Thank you in advance for your patience.‌‌‌‌ 🙂

Thank you for your reply. It happens during a normal start-up. I didn't connect any new devices or update BIOS. I tried updating BIOS after the error occurred. The CPU fan runs normally. I can't enter the BIOS because the computer automatically shuts down after 15 seconds.

Unfortunately, I don't have another PSU to try. I have tried removing all peripherals and replugging CPU, but none of these works. The only solution is replugging the motherboard power supply. I have ordered another motherboard and will send this one for RMA.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @junyig 

Thank you for your response.
Since you have already submitted it for repair, we recommend that you wait for the repair center's subsequent diagnosis or further assistance.
If you encounter any difficulties or concerns, please feel free to DM me with detailed context at any time.

Thank you.

Due to the ongoing regional holidays, my responses may be slightly delayed.
Thank you in advance for your patience.‌‌‌‌ 🙂