cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STRIX Z790--A Gaming WIFI - 4x16G Memory Errors

cpupro
Level 7

I have CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB DDR5 RAM 64GB (4x16GB) 6600MHz CL32 Intel XMP (CMH64GX5M4B6600C32) on this MB. I built this computer and from day 1 "XMP" will not work. I have moved the sticks around and made sure everything was in place but the memory errors out when I have "XMP" activated. This product is on the QVL list, so why doesn't it work on "XMP"?

There is 4 socket support, and everything is according to the manual.

BIOS currently running - BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2301, 5/22/2024. I have everything else up to date. I get these errors from "memtest" in the BIOS and also when I run "Windows Memory Configuration". Just for a note here, this is the second pair of this memory I have received. It does this on both sets. The first set was returned for broken parts on the memory. I thought with a return and a new set that this would correct itself.

If I turn off "XMP" the computer runs without issue but if "XMP" is on I get a lot of different issues with freezing up and so forth.

Please, help me understand what I can do to get this corrected.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hi @cpupro 

4x16GB can be tough on some memory controllers. Remember, XMP is overclocking, and as such doesn't hold assurances due to variance between parts.

Firstly, you can try reducing frequency to 6400MT and see if this helps. See here for more information on XMP/EXPO.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

cpupro
Level 7

Memory that is on the QVL. This is what is installed.Memory.png

This is the current speed of the memory, supposed to be 6600 not 4200.
memory speed.png

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hi @cpupro 

4x16GB can be tough on some memory controllers. Remember, XMP is overclocking, and as such doesn't hold assurances due to variance between parts.

Firstly, you can try reducing frequency to 6400MT and see if this helps. See here for more information on XMP/EXPO.

cpupro
Level 7

Hi @Silent_Scone 

Thanks for the suggestion on this. I did finally do this reducing to 6400MT and it went through. Tested "Windows Memory Configuration" and "memtest". Both passed so I will take it from there.

In all the years of building computers I have never had this problem with memory. Granted, it's basically the first time I went with 4 sticks instead of 2 so that might have been my problem.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

When you combine kits, the success rate is dependant on several factors.

The platform, what speed and density kits you are trying to combine, which memory IC, how much voltage guardband the vendor has used...it goes on. Bottom line is, motherboard and memory vendors can't support such things. If users struggle to understand why, then explaining how to overcome these challenges becomes even harder - and there's only so much assistance one can give.

cpupro
Level 7

If I understand what you are saying then "I never combine kits". My refernce was I might pull these out and try a different configuration, still "6600" but 2x32 not 4x16. That is they way I have done it in the past so I was willing to try it that way.

Thanks for the input.