cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix B650e-e Wifi card and SATA drives randomly disconnect while playing games

ixvst01
Level 8

I've been dealing with an extremely frustrating problem since I upgraded to AM5 recently. Before I explain the issue, here are my specs:

• Asus Strix B650e-e
  • AMD 7950X3D
  • G-Skill 32GB 6000MHz CL30
  • RTX 4090
  • Thermaltake 1200W PSU
  • Windows 10

The issue is that within 10-30 minutes of playing any game that puts load on the cpu, all (two) of my SATA SSDs will disconnect and the Wifi network card will also eventually disconnect (not necessarily all at the same time). They just completely disappear from task manager like they don't exist. This isn't a matter of my network connection cutting out, this is the network adapter disappearing from task manager and the PC acting like there is no wireless adapter installed at all. 

Luckily, Windows and most of the games I play are on Nvme drives. (There is no problem with the Nvme disconnecting). Nevertheless, the network adapter and SATA devices should not be disconnecting randomly while playing games. The only way to get them reconnected is by either restarting the PC or by going into device manager and manually restarting the Asmedia SATA driver and the MediaTek network adapter driver. 

I'm really at a loss on what to try next. I've been troubleshooting this issue for a while now to no avail. Here is everything I have already tried with no success:

• Updated and reinstalled all Chipset, SATA, Wifi, etc. drivers with the latest versions (below) from the Asus sites
    • Asmedia 106x SATA Controller 3.3.5.0 [6/24/2020]
    • MediaTek WiFi 3.3.0.789 [3/28/2023]
    • AMD B650E Chipset 5.05.16.529 [5/23/2023]
  • Updated BIOS multiple times. Tried latest BIOS released today (1636), issue still persist. 
  • Cleared CMOS and ran BIOS at stock settings (No Expo or overclocking) and issue still persist
  • Updated all firmware for SATA drives and confirmed health of all SATA drives with CrystalDiskInfo
  • Swapped out all SATA cables with new ones and tried all the SATA ports on the board
  • Adjusted power settings to ensure the SATA drives and network adapter don't go into any sleep states
  • Performed a network reset in Windows settings
  • Finally, I did a complete clean reinstall of Windows 10 just a few days ago and that still didn't fix anything

Event viewer does throw events when the SATA drives and network adapter disconnect seemingly randomly during gameplay. When the two SATA SSDs disconnect, event 157 "Disk has been surprise removed" is thrown:

Event_157.png

When the network adapter disconnects, event 5002 is thrown:

Event_5002.png

Finally, here is my device manager. If anything here looks out of the ordinary, please let me know.

Device_manager.png

Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if there is a troubleshooting step I missed or a driver I forgot to try updating or anything you think could potentially solve the problem. Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello @ixvst01 

Based on your hardware specifications, we have conducted tests but have been unable to replicate the issues you described. I will proceed to provide additional scenarios for further verification.
As we consider the possibility of overheating, please try different usage scenarios beyond gaming to confirm if the described issues occur in other situations.
We will also recommend you try conducting bare-board testing with the motherboard exposed in an insulated environment to eliminate temperature-related concerns as much as possible.

Thank you.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @ixvst01 

After consulting with the relevant department again, we suggest sending the motherboard for repair to conduct further diagnostics.
If necessary, please contact ASUS - service center and apply for the RMA repair process. 

Thank you.

Sorry for not responding to your previous post. Yesterday I took the motherboard out of my case and ran some open-air tests without the GPU (I used integrated graphics). The chipset temperatures were still hitting 80+ degrees just sitting at idle for a few minutes. I found that very strange. I will send the motherboard and apply for the RMA. Thank you for all your help.