cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD fails when connected to SATA port

JerryPele
Level 7

I have an ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (now with the latest BIOS and driver updates) with AMD Ryzen 5 5600X, a  2 TB Samsung 980 Pro Gen 4 M.2 NVMe installed in the M2_1 slot, an older 3 TB Seagate SATA drive, and this 1 TB TEAM brand SSD. When this SSD is connected to a SATA port it may initially work, but then start showing “A Device Which Does Not Exist Was Specified” when I opened various folders. Eventually Disk Manager would report the File System as RAW; and then the drive would disappear. Or File Explorer would hang trying to view files on the drive. However, I have a SATA to USB adapter. If I plug that drive into a USB port with the adapter it works perfectly fine; and shows no issues with various disk utilities, including one from the manufacture. It also works fine on other systems connected the same way.

So; why might I be having an issue? Is it still the drive; even though it works fine connected through USB; or some setting in BIOS?

Edit: I should add that I tried multiple SATA ports and multiple SATA cables. I also reformated the drive while it was connected to USB; but got "[drive letter] is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect."

2 REPLIES 2

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hi @JerryPele @I’ve moved your post for the attention of service

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Thank you. I don't know exactly what that means. I'm guessing no one has experienced this issue...