cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rtx 4090 strix black screen and fans at 100%

Stittyuk
Level 9

My Rtx 4090 keeps intermittent crashing from time to time it goes black screen and fans hit 100% I am using a ASU’s 1000w psu with the supplied 12vhigh power connector. I have tried setting power settings in nvidia control panel to maximum performance. It can also do it sometimes when at desktop idle and not gaming. I have read online where other people have had issues with cables? Any suggestions guys?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If you think WHEA errors are nothing to do with the CPU, perhaps you should take it to a system integrator so they can sort it for you.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hi @Stittyuk,

I've seen you've made a few threads now. It sounds like instability, but not sure the GPU is the issue.

The first thing to try would be to disable XMP. Clear the CMOS, then retest to see if the behaviour is the same.

Yer worst pc I’ve ever built this I’m definitely going back to console had to much headache with it. It still does it with xmp off and bios at defaults apparently plenty have had this issue

Are you using a contact frame for the CPU, or the stock retention bracket? 

Clear the CMOS, set SVID Behaviour to Intel Fail Safe and retest.

It’s got nothing to do with the cpu buddy the pc is still on I can hear sound it’s a whea 41 error so it’s power related I think 

If you think WHEA errors are nothing to do with the CPU, perhaps you should take it to a system integrator so they can sort it for you.

I’ve had it running fine with a different gpu so I think it’s a psu or gpu or gpu cable issue. Also @Silent_Scone would you run your system through a surge protector or best plugged directly into wall because I’m wondering if that has anything to do with it

What GPU did you try?

A surge protector should be fine assuming it's working as intended.

An old rtx 2080 …Update for you guys so I had it plugged into a surge protector I have removed it from that and plugged directly into wall and upto now it has not happened I will keep testing

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @Stittyuk 

May I ask if the situation you described happened after any changes were made? For example, adjusting the BIOS settings or connecting an external device
In what scenarios does the intermittent crashing occur? For example, does it happen after playing a specific game for 30 minutes or within 1 minute after booting up?
Have you ruled out potential factors like overheating or overclocking?
Could you please provide the current motherboard and CPU models you're using, as well as the current BIOS version?

Thank you.

sharing complete hardware info & software config details will help us better understand the issue 🙂