Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX Z790-E GAMING WIFI and XMP issues

chasmer
Level 7

Hello!
I am facing a weird problem.
MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-E GAMING WIFI
CPU: i7-14700K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5, 7200MHz, C34, 32Gb (2 x 16)

RAM modules are in QVL.
Initially recognized as 4800MHz without XMP.
All firmwares, drivers, service packs etc - updated to the latest available.
All components are new without physical damages.

Then tested with AIDA64 Memory & Cache test.
Module1 at A2, Module2 at B2,  4800MHz (no XMP) - test passed.
Module2 at A2, Module1 at B2,  4800MHz (no XMP) - test passed.
Module1 at A2, Module2 at B2,  7200MHz (XMP) - PC freezes forever in 5 sec.
Module2 at A2, Module1 at B2,  7200MHz (XMP) - PC freezes forever in 5 sec.
Module1 at A2,  7200MHz (XMP) - test passed.
Module2 at A2,  7200MHz (XMP) - test passed.

Replaced RAM modules with new ones - the same result.

What could be the reason? Broken B2? Faulty CPU?

Any ideas? Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hi @chasmer ,

Contrary to assumptions, XMP/EXPO doesn't ensure automatic overclocking. Tighter timings or higher frequencies may require manual adjustments for stability. Overclocking cannot be assured due to variance between parts when run outside manufacture specifications. XMP/EXPO success also greatly depends on the processor's Integrated Memory Controller (IMC) capabilities. Note that being able to achieve a higher frequency in single channel or with one memory module is expected behaviour, as this puts less strain on the CPU.

If not familiar with memory overclocking on this platform or otherwise, try the following.

i. Set XMP II

ii. Reduce DRAM Frequency to 6800.

iii. Set Maximus Tweak Mode 2

If unsure where to find certain settings, use the search function on the UEFI toolbar.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

chasmer
Level 7

Thank you for your reply, @Silent_Scone !

I have also tried B2 alone. Goes fine with 7200Mhz. So the 2nd slot is probably good.

Also I have tried different frequencies under XMP I and the final successful was 6667Mhz for both modules (A2+B2). 6800+ are failing.

The main thing that I would like to be sure is if the situation is normal and there are no any defects.

I have seen lots of stories where guys have 7200MHz with XMP without any manual changes (sometimes they change mobo for that). And I am wondering what QVL is for then. I thought that means that Asus have physically tried this exact mobo with this exact memory at 7200MHz.

I will try your suggestions later. But I can only change frequency. All those voltages etc are out of my knowledge.

The QVL is to show that ASUS has qualified that memory kit as working on the board. However, the CPU silicon varies.

It's critical to note that it doesn't vary in a linear fashion, either - some CPUs will be comfortable at less voltage than the auto rules apply (VCCSA, IMC VDD etc), some may need more. Occasionally, the CPU won't be able to achieve a designated frequency at all. This is why XMP isn't always autonomous overclocking. 

Opting for a slower memory kit should increase chances of plug and play success.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090