cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix Z790-A II audio line out

jagerx9
Level 8

Has anyone figured out a fix for the Line Out issues with these boards? The Line Out is scratchy and quiet, almost like something is physically wrong with the jack. I'd like to be wrong--and hope it's some kind of software issue. Anyone have any luck with drivers or anything? I have the latest Realtek drivers.

7 REPLIES 7

jagerx9
Level 8

Update:

I'm on a Corsair rm850e PSU. Disabling XMP improves the sound quality when there is a single output. But if ANY other devices on USB end up using the sound card, the terrible noise problem returns. For example, if I get on a video call, the audio is brutal. If I get off the call, sound is fine.

Adding to this: after disabling XMP; Spotify/VLC work fine for example. But browsers/youtube, Teams, video calls, all sound terrible. Confirmed as well that the quality comes and goes. Maybe based on processor state.

What is wrong with the driver?

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @jagerx9 

Based on your description, the audio output quality seems to be affected by whether XMP is enabled. However, enabling XMP results in abnormal sound effects in browsers, YouTube, Teams, and video calls.

Could you confirm if you are currently using a headset and if you have cross-tested with other headphones or speakers?
Which port is the headset connected to, and have you tried cross-testing with the port on the rear panel?
Meanwhile, may I ask what the current BIOS and audio driver versions are?
If you haven't updated to the latest version provided by the official website of the ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI II, we recommend updating and clearing CMOS before reconfirming.

Thank you.

sharing complete hardware info & software config details will help us better understand the issue 🙂

Disabling XMP improves the likelihood of not having distorted sound. But doesn't guarantee it. It's very similar to the other unresolved locked threads on this board. I can't really explain what causes the audio distortion and low volume levels.

The result is the same speakers vs headset. I've tested both in both ports. The from panel AAFP works fine 100% of the time. It is only the rear line out that is the problem.

Yes, this is a brand new  build on updated bios.  BIOS is 1202. Audio driver makes no diference. I can use either the Microsoft issued version (10.0.2262.1) or Realtek (6.3.9600.2368) both manually and via Armory Crate.

jagerx9
Level 8

Bios 1202

Driver; have tried both. Both have the same problem. Microsoft 10.0.22621.1. Realtek 6.3.9600.2368. This is a brand new build, and the problem is sporadic. I don't know why clearing CMOS would fix anything. Disabling XMP seemed to generate a temporary result. 

It doesn't matter if I am using speakers or headphones, the result is the same; scratchy/peaky, low volume low quality audio from the rear panel. I tried switching to optical. It worked fine for a day, then after initiating a teams call, all audio from all sources is now back to being low quality. The AAFP / case panel always works fine. It's JUST the rear I/O. Optical or line out.

This is the same problem from several unresolved and now locked threads in this forum. It sounds like hardware replacements don't fix it. The problem sounds like it is power and impedance related. A common link seems to be the Corsair modern power supplies.

It feels like there is some function of the driver that is attempting to sense power incoming and impedance at the jack and balancing levels incorrectly to address it.

Z790-A II / i7-14700KF / 64gb DDR5 5600mhz / RTX3080 / RM850e

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @jagerx9 

It seems you encounter it regardless of the driver version or output device, and the results vary between front and rear ports.
Disabling XMP might help, or the audio might be fine until a Teams call, as such, the PSU or the system's power plan might indeed affect audio quality.
If you have concerns and need further investigation, we recommend cross-testing with a different PSU, checking the power plan settings for any specific ports that might be restricted or disabled, or adjusting driver settings such as disabling automatic sensing or adjusting input/output levels.
Kindly share recorded video comparisons to help us better understand the differences if needed.

Thank you.

sharing complete hardware info & software config details will help us better understand the issue 🙂

There isn't enough consistency in the problem. It's clearly a driver related issue. I can't even fully confirm this as there is a Bongiovi driver that reinstalls itself no matter what I do.

For now I have given up and switched to Optical which is better in 90% of circumstances but  still occasionally has scratch audio.

None of this is on users or their builds. The forum is filled with Z790 audio issues. The response from Asus is really disappointing.

jagerx9
Level 8

Just an update that nothing works. I've tried literally everything. As usual, Realtek proves to be unbelievably unreliable on Z790 boards. I think the issue is likely a matter of power handling. 

Optical is OK for now with the odd hiccup in audio quality that I cannot determine the nature of. Meanwhile, I guess I'll cross my fingers that Asus finally addresses this via BIOS or driver updates.