cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX Z690-F GAMING WIFI - USB devices keep disconnecting and speakers too

LeRouteur
Level 7

Hi there,

Strange thing I have since I installed my PC in mid-2023. Wasn't bothering me before, but now that I game more often, it starts to be really inconvenient and makes me thinking of switching mobos.

I have an Asus ROG STRIX Z690-F GAMING WIFI with an Intel Core i7-13700K and 64 GB of Trident Z5 RAM. My Windows 10 is up to date, with latest BIOS (3101) and latest USB (Microsoft drivers) & Realtek (VB6.3.9600.2342) from Asus and Armoury Crate.

I have external jack 3.5 speakers and a headset (connected via Bluetooth).

When I boot the PC, Windows spins for a while and some "slamming" sounds can be heard through the external speakers. Sounds like when you disconnect the jack plug, does it 5-6 times before showing the login screen.

After logging in, everything works for a while, but then my USB devices (keyboard/mouse/USB sticks) and the speakers suddenly disconnect for a solid 10-15 seconds, then reconnect like nothing happened.

I also noticed that when I'm playing music through the speakers, it stops and won't play sound anymore after this bug. I have to restart the computer. But if I'm not playing any sound, it works after that.

I've been reading a few things about this problem, especially related to Sonic Studio 3, but the driver is disabled in peripheral manager and I don't have the app/service running, so I guess it's not that.

Nothing specific shows in Event Viewer, I sometimes have "Error setting traits on Provider {8444a4fb-d8d3-4f38-84f8-89960a1ef12f}" a few moments before this bug.

I did pretty much all the steps I can think of and I'm running out of solutions. Has anyone a magic fix for me, or something else I can check?

Thanks in advance, and happy new year y'all.

Edit: the crash is always followed by a dozens of error in the Event Viewer. It's always DeviceSetupManager with ID 131 stating "Metadata staging failed, result=0x80070490 for container"

4 REPLIES 4

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @LeRouteur 

Regarding the 3.5mm Jack Speakers, could you please confirm if they are connected to the I/O port on the chassis or the rear panel of the motherboard, and whether you are using extension cables for all USB devices?
We suggest attempting cross-testing by connecting to different audio and USB ports.
Concerning Event ID 131, under what circumstances does this notification appear?
If possible, we recommend referring to [Windows 11/10]. How to reset the PC or try cross-tests with different system drives.

Thank you.

sharing complete hardware info & software config details will help us better understand the issue 🙂

Hi,

The 3.5 is plugged on the I/O port on the mobo. I use one extension cable for a USB hub (it has its own DC power source).

I already switched all the USB ports on the mobo.

The Event ID 131 appears after all USB devices disconnect and speakers too, so just after the problem I described.

Since I made the post, the issue hasn't happily been reproduced. I'll keep you updated asap if something new happens.

Hey @Jiaszzz_ROG,

The issue happened a few minutes ago today again.

I still use my hub with an extension USB cable, may that be the problem?

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @LeRouteur 

Given the situation you've described, we suggest trying to avoid using an extension hub, directly connecting the USB to the motherboard's port, and clearing CMOS to see if this would resolve the issue.
If the problem persists, could you please provide a comprehensive video documenting the issue, including the connected USB devices, any error messages displayed, and a record of your current troubleshooting steps?

Thank you.

sharing complete hardware info & software config details will help us better understand the issue 🙂