cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Maximus Z790 Hero DDR5 with SSD Crucial T700 Heatsink, 1TB, M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen5

Deqra
Level 7

I am not able to get PCIe Gen5 speeds to run, at most I am getting 7000mb/s reads and writes.

Motherboard and ssd are both up to date with firmware and bios.

SSD is in M.2_1 slot.

Please advise how to get the gen5 speeds.

Thx.Crystraldisk test.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @Deqra 

May I ask if the situation you described happened after any changes were made? For example, updating the BIOS or connecting an external device
Could you please provide your current BIOS version, and have you ensured that the Intel ME has been updated to the required version within the BIOS? 
For example, the latest BIOS version of the ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO is 1402, which requires updating the Intel ME to 16.1.30.2264.
According to the user manual page xiii, the M.2_1 channel shares bandwidth with pciex16(G5)_1.

Given that the Crucial T700 1TB PCIe Gen5 NVMe M.2 SSD with heatsink has a 2280 form factor, we recommend cross-testing it on the M.2_2 or M.2_3 slots.
However, also according to the user manual, all three of your M.2 slots only support Gen4, whereas the M.2 SSD you have installed supports Gen5. This could be one of the reasons for the reduced speed.

Please proceed with clearing the CMOS and testing with the default BIOS setting, if necessary.

Thank you.

Due to the ongoing regional holidays, my responses may be slightly delayed.
Thank you in advance for your patience.‌‌‌‌ 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @Deqra 

May I ask if the situation you described happened after any changes were made? For example, updating the BIOS or connecting an external device
Could you please provide your current BIOS version, and have you ensured that the Intel ME has been updated to the required version within the BIOS? 
For example, the latest BIOS version of the ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO is 1402, which requires updating the Intel ME to 16.1.30.2264.
According to the user manual page xiii, the M.2_1 channel shares bandwidth with pciex16(G5)_1.

Given that the Crucial T700 1TB PCIe Gen5 NVMe M.2 SSD with heatsink has a 2280 form factor, we recommend cross-testing it on the M.2_2 or M.2_3 slots.
However, also according to the user manual, all three of your M.2 slots only support Gen4, whereas the M.2 SSD you have installed supports Gen5. This could be one of the reasons for the reduced speed.

Please proceed with clearing the CMOS and testing with the default BIOS setting, if necessary.

Thank you.

Due to the ongoing regional holidays, my responses may be slightly delayed.
Thank you in advance for your patience.‌‌‌‌ 🙂

Deqra
Level 7

I had to use ROG Hyper M.2 card, and plug it into PCIEx16, and set 8x.

Thx.

Deqra
Level 7

Update on solutions.

Unfortunately ROG Hypee M.2 card covers 2 of the 3 gpu fans, and that raised my temps by almost 20c , which is unfortunate, since I cant justify gen5 ssd for such huge minus. Which also means, I will never be able to get usage of it, unless I go with some weird colling options that dont have fans on the gpu itself, if it only used third pcie slot, that would be amazing. Alas, this makes motherboard pretty much uselees for gen5 ssd, unless you get some different type of cooling, or mounts for gpu.

Other then that motherboard is amazing, its stable on overclocking, I have no problems with crashing, temps are great, only sad I cant use gen5 ssd, without changing stuff around.

rosecki
Level 8

i have noticed that only new model asus maximus z 790 dark hero has  M.2_1 slot (Key M), type 2242/2260/2280/22110 (supports PCIe 5.0 x4 mode.)