cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO BIOS 1801

Kman
Level 7

I have everything now and ready to put it all together I914900k / 128 ddr5 6000 MHz Corsair Vengeance ram

I know I need 1201 bios update for the 14th gen Intel but can I just go with the 1801 latest Bios update?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jose_Antonio
Level 8

Of course you can. Rename the BIOS file, copy it to a pendrive and put it in the proper USB port and push the back flash button to start the update process. I've done it and it works well on a Maximus 790 Extreme and a 790 Hero. After that, insert the 14900K processor and you'll see it is detected. In the Z790 Extreme mobo I have 4 Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000 32 Gb sticks. For now it works well with no XMP profile, but it crashed at startup when I configured XMP 1 on BIOS. Return to no XMP and Windows started without problems. I have to test more XMP. Maybe the crash came because of 4 memory sticks.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Jose_Antonio
Level 8

Of course you can. Rename the BIOS file, copy it to a pendrive and put it in the proper USB port and push the back flash button to start the update process. I've done it and it works well on a Maximus 790 Extreme and a 790 Hero. After that, insert the 14900K processor and you'll see it is detected. In the Z790 Extreme mobo I have 4 Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000 32 Gb sticks. For now it works well with no XMP profile, but it crashed at startup when I configured XMP 1 on BIOS. Return to no XMP and Windows started without problems. I have to test more XMP. Maybe the crash came because of 4 memory sticks.

@Jose_Antonio 

4x32 @ 6000 sounds like combined / mix kits, you'd need to purchase a single validated kit, or remove one.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Hi, I have removed two sticks and put only 64 Gb RAM (DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2 as manual says). Really, it's enough for gaming. For now, no blue screens. I have also noticed that Aida64 reads now the SPD information instantly. When I had 4 sticks, Aida64 took a long time to show that information. Hope this was the solution. Thanks.

Thank you for your advice I do appreciate it

Hi, I have removed two sticks and put only 64 Gb RAM (DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2 as manual says). Really, it's enough for gaming. For now, no blue screens. I have also noticed that Aida64 reads now the SPD information instantly. When I had 4 sticks, Aida64 took a long time to show that information. Hope this was the solution. Thanks.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @Kman 

Regarding the BIOS update process, if needed, you can refer to the instructions in [Motherboard] How to use USB BIOS FlashBack™ for further clarification.

Thank you.

sharing complete hardware info & software config details will help us better understand the issue 🙂

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @Jose_Antonio 

Upon verification, it has been confirmed that the QVL for the ROG MAXIMUS Z790 EXTREME does not include support for CORSAIR memory with 4 modules in 1 kit and RAM speed of 6000.
Meanwhile, according to the "Check purchasing and installation guide" in the Support page>CPU/Memory Support>Memory/Device Support:

Ensure that all memory modules are from the same validated memory kit. 
Do not mix DIMMs from different memory kits—even if they are the same brand and model (e.g., two DIMMs each from two different memory kits). 
Mixing and matching DIMMs can result in a failure to boot and compatibility issues.

We recommend referring to the guidelines in purchasing and installation guide and [Motherboard] How to query (CPU/memory) QVL List? , installing memory modules from the QVL before reevaluation. 

Thank you.

sharing complete hardware info & software config details will help us better understand the issue 🙂

Hi Jiaszzz_ROG. Thank you for your awnser. I have removed two DIMMs (a1 and b1 removed) and now the system works stable, without crashes. 

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hi @Kman 

No problem doing things this way. Download the file from the support site and use the renamer before copying the drive to a formatted FAT32 USB pen drive.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090