cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - AI OC Problems

ireeln
Level 7

Hi Team, 

I recently bought a Z790 HERO, and I have DDR7 7200 MHz Dominator plus a i7-13700k, and I have the latest BIOS update. Every time I enable AI OC, games can't launch, discord restarts every time, the browser pages put Memory Access Violation. I tried enabling the OC via Armory Crate and the problem persists, also via AI Suite as well. One thing that helped was enabling AI OC but and then in the AI Suite changing the CPU - Load Line Calibration after the OC to 5 but I don't think that should be a solution because every time you restart the PC the load line calibration falls to default 3 which shouldn't be a default anyways, also if you change the load line calibration via BIOS the PC will crash and no stress tests can be done. Is this a case of waiting for a BIOS update or what could be the issue here. I'm using XMP 1 tried different XMP the problem still persists. 

Thank you. 

7 REPLIES 7

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @ireeln 

May I inquire if you are currently using memory part number CMT32GX5M2X7600C36 (ver. 5.43.01) and if it is installed in the DIMM_A2 and B2 slots on the board?
Could you kindly confirm the current BIOS version and whether you cleared the CMOS after updating to the latest BIOS?
May I also ask if you have enabled AI OC in the BIOS and, if so, which settings have been configured?
When encountering issues such as games not launching and the browser indicating memory access conflicts, could you provide the memory usage ratio in the Processes tab of the Task Manager?
Meanwhile, there are discussions related to your topic in ROG Discussions > Overclocking & Tweaking, and I may relocate your post to the proper category if you'd like.

Thank you.

ireeln
Level 7

Hi @Jiaszzz_ROG,

Thank you for replying!

- I am using Corsair DOMINATOR CMT32GX5M2X7200C34 and it is installed in DIMM_A2 & DIMM_B2 slots.
- I am using the latest ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO BIOS 1501.
- AI OC Enabled via Asus AI Suite & ASUS ARMOURY CRATE, not from the BIOS.
- CMOS Has been cleared multiple times, of course.

Additionally,

- XMP I is working just fine, same with XMP II, without CPU AI OC.
- Without DRAM OC (XMP), the AI OC works properly only when Load-line Calibration is set from 3 to 5 in ASUS AI Suite.

I have not checked memory usage ratio in the Task Manager app as I suspect this is not related to RAM / XMP.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @ireeln 

Thank you for your response.
Could you please confirm the current overclocking or related settings and specify the goal or problem they are intended to achieve?
May I ask if the XMP option for memory overclocking in the BIOS is set to disable, or if, after clearing CMOS and entering the system under default BIOS settings, you can successfully operate the overclocking options through ASUS AI Suite?
To further identify your issue, could you please provide the following information?
- images of the settings in the BIOS, specifically whether only memory with XMP I is enabled
- the brand and model names of the installed GPU, SSD/HDD, and PSU
- the OS version and OS build
- Armoury Crate version, and a screenshot of the Armoury Crate Update Center
- a comprehensive video recording of the settings and scenario when the issue occurs, including:
1. Armoury Crate and AI Suite 3 settings and the inability to open the game
2. Manually AI OC settings under the system rebooting back to default
3. BIOS manual settings and system crashes after saving and reboot
This information will help us understand your current situation and identify potential issues.

Thank you.

Hi @Jiaszzz_ROG , 
Thank you for your prompt reply. The XMP option is disabled, even after clearing CMOS with all the default settings the PC and enabling AI OC, the computer is unable to open apps or games. The apps/games just crash within seconds or they do not open at all.

• BIOS ver.1801
  • GPU: MSI 3080 Gaming Z Trio 12G LHR, SSD 990Pro MZ-V9P2T0BW, PSU Corsair RM1000x 80 Plus Gold.
  • Windows 11 Pro 23H2 - Build 22631.2861
  • ireeln_0-1703625730482.pngireeln_1-1703625769582.png

• Let me know how I can send you a video that I took after turnin the AI OC on. 
  • I am not going through manual AIOC, maybe another time if the AIOC is clearly not an option.

With the help of an IT Professional friend of mine, also owner of Z690 APEX, we've spent days trying to find a stable configuration and the only time we got games to work without crashing was when we increased Load-Line Calibration from Level 3 to Level 5, we did also try to increase LLC to Level 5 via BIOS but it would not Boot to Windows. After spending a considerable time tweaking with settings and configurations it lead us to the conclusion that something is not right with the AI OC Feature and a future BIOS update would enable me to achieve the best performance from this top-tier motherboard. I have shot a video on my iPhone with as many details I could provide in order to help you identify potential issues and expedite the process. Please do not hesitate to ask for additional information.

Hi @ireeln ,

Did you follow the instructions located at the top of the UEFI toolbar before enabling AI OC? 

You can also try Intel TVB located under Extreme Tweaker and set boost profile to +1. It will still be necessary to test stability.  As per the UEFI description, a LLC level of at least 4 is recommended when overclocking.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

ireeln
Level 7

Hi @Silent_Scone ,

Where can I find the instructions for the UEFI Toolbar - I'm enabling the AI OC via AI Suite 3.

Also, for TVB can you let me know where that is exactly? 

Thank you. 

You can find the AI OC Instructions here:
I tend to use CR20 to test before returning to the UEFI.

Silent_Scone_2-1703691316772.png

Alternatively the AI Predictions under Extreme Tweaker > AI Features will give you the Per Core Usage loading to set along with the recommended Adaptive Voltage and SVID Behaviour.

Silent_Scone_7-1703692032193.png

Extreme Tweaker>TVB, or Thermal Velocity Boost, allows for increasing the clock frequency beyond the Turbo Boost  frequencies when the CPU operates below a temperature threshold. Typically set at 70 degrees Celsius for desktop CPUs, this threshold serves as a negative offset at which point the CPU will reduce frequency by 1 ratio. You can manually configure the temperature threshold where needed. You can test Boost +1 and +2 profiles. Be sure to test for stability.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090