cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random crashes with X670E Hero

Foz
Level 10

Before i go into the nuts and bolts let me spec out what i have.

X670E Hero - BIOS 1303
7950X3D
ZOTAC 4090 AMP AIRO
G.SKILL Z5 Neo EXPO 32GB 6000MHz F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR
CPU and GPU custom watercooled (EKWB parts)

So the other night while attempting to play Jedi Survivor the onboard Bluetooth disappeared (not in device manager etc), odd I thought but not a deal breaker and not worth the 2 months i was quoted i would be without the board, anyway my fault finding was as follows:-

Applied my clonezilla image of my machine in case it was a rogue update, Image is from 2 month ago when the system was built (clean image OS, drivers and AV) but the device was still missing.

Clean build of Windows 11 Pro from freshly downloaded ISO, no device.

Reached out to ASUS who said run the diagnostics in MyASUS app but there are none.

I had some new fans which i was waiting on installing on my Rads and thought no better time than now, they all connect to a fan controller so all i did was unplug 6 and plug in 6 to the same controller (all noctuas) and tidy the cabling, now the bluetooth is showing again but randomly the PC now just shuts down, no BSOD logs but 6008 IDs in event viewer, to power back on I need to either turn off the PSU and turn back on (Seasonic TX1300) or use the onboard ReTry button.

I'm at a loss and kinda out of ideas so any help is welcomed.

332 REPLIES 332

No Armory Crate, disabled in BIOS

No armory crate on my end either

Robk
Level 7

Hi Foz, 

I am not using Amoury Crate anymore for months. The drivers you can get seperately. This tool has bugs on my side, so I decided to delete it and turned off the auto installer via BIOS. But what I can say is, that your fans should work with or without Amoury Crate. AI Cooling I dont use at all. 

Foz
Level 10

I would rather not use it also but knowing vendors like I do in enterprise (I'm looking at you Dell and HPE!!!) when doing any fault finding it normally goes like this:-

Are you using the latest firmware we provide?
The software\drivers is also from us?

So to mitigate when i reinstalled Windows i elected to go "vanilla" to avoid "ah you used drivers we didn't validate so not supported" 

Yes fans had been working to a point but i can't say when it changed but they are working now i've crippled it, again a moot point as you peeps are suffering the shutdown issues but don't have it installed.

Siffi
Level 7

Hello folks,

another one with a Seasonic PSU reporting this issue.

System Specifications:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, stock / PBO / CO no difference

GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM X 24G

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero

RAM: ADATA 2x32 GB DDR5-6000 (AX5U6000C3032G-CLARWH) EXPO(XMP) / stock, also ADATA 2x16 and 4x16 GB DDR5-6000 (AX5U6000C4016G-CLARWH) EXPO / stock

Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 2TB

PSU: Seasonic PRIME PX-1600

The issue started when I first updated my BIOS after the known AMD / Motherboard issues appeared. What helped was downgrading to BIOS Version 1303. After the latest AMD chipset driver was released 1415 was much more stable. Anyway about one or two weeks ago the problem started appearing again.

Another person had the same issue and we discussed it on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/13nqzj0/pc_powering_off_randomly_7950x3d_4090/jl33b2q/?co...

I will keep you updated if I find out anything.

zack79
Level 8

I think I might have gotten to the bottom of my issue. I found another device connected to my ups that was causing issues. Once I removed it I havent had a single shutdown. It's been 5 days now and it's the longest I have gone for months.

I dont use an ups for power and having the shut downs.

My ups is on one circuit. I am still testing but after i dis connected this one device my issues went away. You should be using a UPS though for stable consistent power. I would suggest getting one to see if your issues disappear.

I am still having the issue after a week of running with none. Going to send it back to asus.

Flakey
Level 8

Hello,

I have also been having issues with sudden shutdowns and the need to turn the PSU off, wait a bit and turn it back on for the PC to turn on again. The issue happens every 4-5 days on average. One day, it happened twice. Once, it did not happen for ~10 days. Happens usually during idle or medium load (playing old games). Also happened twice during high load while gaming, but never during stress or stability tests.

No bluescreens (at least not when this issue happens), Windows event viewer logs nothing regarding the reason of the shutdown. As others described, it is as if the power was turned off, except LEDs on the Motherboard stay on (not fan or case LEDs, though) while the PC can not be turned on. I also once disconnected the PSU from the Motherboard in this state and the PSU turned on just fine connected to a PSU tester (without having to toggle the switch).

My specs:

Motherboard:
ASUS ROG Strix X670E-E Gaming Wifi
BIOS version 1416 - I updated to this version when I built my PC on the 19 and 20th of May and have been seeing the issue from the beginning. I tried no other versions.
No OC apart from EXPO.

CPU (air cooled):
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D

PSU:
Seasonic Prime TX (1300 W)

Memory:
G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB (2 x 32GB, 6000 MHz, CAS 30) (F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5NR)

GPU (air cooled):
Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X
Undervolted, but the system crashes also happened many times before.

Drives:
2x Samsung 990 Pro (NVMe, 2000 GB)

Case:
Fractal Torrent RGB

I did not try the CPU LLC level 5 setting. I have no UPS.

I have been running AIDA64 to log some monitorables every 500ms-1s, to see if there were any voltage spikes (I did not see any). However, I can see that often, the last writes before the crashes are not completed (binary mess at the end of the log files).

Since I understood it was requested by @Jiaszzz_ROG, find the logs of 4 crashes of this kind attached (all that I could find and identify since I started logging; there were more when AIDA64 was not running):
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AeAfCb4lf_XqXZ1gW9z5TxetbpcAYQMN?usp=sharing

P.S.: The logs contain started/ended processes - please don't kinkshame me. Also, what a horrible experience (starting to lose my mind thinking about the money I spent on this random data loss machine).

Cheers,
Phil