cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random crashes with X670E Hero

Foz
Level 10

Before i go into the nuts and bolts let me spec out what i have.

X670E Hero - BIOS 1303
7950X3D
ZOTAC 4090 AMP AIRO
G.SKILL Z5 Neo EXPO 32GB 6000MHz F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR
CPU and GPU custom watercooled (EKWB parts)

So the other night while attempting to play Jedi Survivor the onboard Bluetooth disappeared (not in device manager etc), odd I thought but not a deal breaker and not worth the 2 months i was quoted i would be without the board, anyway my fault finding was as follows:-

Applied my clonezilla image of my machine in case it was a rogue update, Image is from 2 month ago when the system was built (clean image OS, drivers and AV) but the device was still missing.

Clean build of Windows 11 Pro from freshly downloaded ISO, no device.

Reached out to ASUS who said run the diagnostics in MyASUS app but there are none.

I had some new fans which i was waiting on installing on my Rads and thought no better time than now, they all connect to a fan controller so all i did was unplug 6 and plug in 6 to the same controller (all noctuas) and tidy the cabling, now the bluetooth is showing again but randomly the PC now just shuts down, no BSOD logs but 6008 IDs in event viewer, to power back on I need to either turn off the PSU and turn back on (Seasonic TX1300) or use the onboard ReTry button.

I'm at a loss and kinda out of ideas so any help is welcomed.

332 REPLIES 332

Shut down:

- While logged onto EverQuest buying and selling stuff to a vendor. I did take a video of restart, however it is identical to what @Dabz has already posted.

- Also I switched Windows power management to Balanced some time ago and have had multiple crashes since.

- Plan to remove all but one memory modules and clear CMOS to default today.

Shut down: #16

BIOS set to default

1 memory module in DIMM_A2

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @Foz 

Thank you for the updated details.
May I ask if you are using any adapters or converters for the graphics card power connection?
If possible, could you cross-test either the PSU or the graphics card? (If possible, please try using 30 series specifications.)

Hello, @Grifil and @aslplsthx.

As mentioned, please help confirm the graphics card's connection to the PSU.
Also, would it be possible to cross-test either the PSU or the graphics card? (Using 30 series specifications.)

Thank you.

I'm connected to my 4090 using the original Seasonic 12vhpwr cable (600w rated).  

No conversion cables or extensions just a straight through Seasonic 12vhpwr cable which is 600w rated.

By cross-test do you mean with another GPU or throw in another PSU? If so I have neither another 4090 or 600w 12vhpwr capable PSU

I was also using the original Seasonic 12VHPWR cable to connect my 4090 directly to the PSU. Note for the Seasonic PSU I was using (TX-1300) this was implemented using 16pin to the GPU, and 2x 8pin PCIe connections to the PSU.

I have mentioned this several times without acknowledgement, but I did swap my PSU for the MSI MEG Ai1300P - and I have not had a shutdown since, but I have received errors related to OCP from their monitoring software (over current protection).

This PSU is fully ATX 3.0/PCIe 5.0 compliant and has a native 16pin connection for the 12VHPWR cable on the PSU, and this is how my GPU is currently powered/connected.

Foz
Level 10

Another shutdown

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @Anarkki .

I apologize for the delay in confirmation.

Based on your previous mention, after updating to BIOS 1415, you only experienced a crash once.
Have you encountered any further crashes since then?
Until today, have you conducted any hardware cross-testing, especially with the PSU?
In order to better understand your issue, please provide complete and relevant information.
- the current BIOS version and the images of the setting in BIOS, or whether it is the default
- the brand, model name, and part number of the DRAM currently installed, as well as the CPU, GPU, SSD/HDD, and PSU
- the OS version and OS build
- the circumstances and frequency of problem
Based on your previous description, the RGB lighting on the motherboard remains on even after "auto shutting down".
However, this scenario seems to be different from the video provided by another user.
Would it be possible for you to provide a complete video recording of the situation, documenting the problem, so we can compare the differences and further analyze the issue?

Thank you.

Hello @Jiaszzz_ROG 

Yes i frequently encounter crashes, i just crashed 10 minutes ago while playing diablo. It sometimes works for a day or two, but it crashes eventually. It only once crashed 3-4 times in one evening. Unfortunately i do not own another PSU or RAM, but i used this PSU with my old setup (Ryzen 5800X) and i did not encounter any crashes with it. Only since i changed the motherboard and upgraded to the Ryzen 7800x3d.

- Current Bios Version is 1415, BIOS is set to EXPO2 preset (i tested with other presets too, crashes stayed the same), all other settings are default

DRAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB, CMT32GX5M2X6000C36
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
GPU: Geforce RTX 4090 Phantom GS by Gainward
SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-1300

- Frequency inconsistent, sometimes every few hours, sometimes every few days.

It's hard to make a video of this, because its so inconsistent with crashing. All i can say is that the USB devices are still powered on (as others mentioned in this thread) and the motherboard RGB and the START button are still lit up. I can make a video of the crashed state as soon as the next crash occurs.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @Anarkki 

May I ask if your motherboard is X670E HERO, X670E EXTREME, or a different model?
Did you use the same PSU and GPU in your previous configuration as well?
If possible, could you please confirm if the memory you are using is listed in the motherboard's QVL list?
After the "crash," can you power on the system by pressing the power button, or do you need to switch off the PSU, wait for a complete power outage, and then power on?
In what usage scenarios have the crashes occurred so far? Do they occur only in specific games?
If you clear the CMOS and reset the BIOS settings to default, does the crashing still occur?

Thank you.