cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random crashes with X670E Hero

Foz
Level 10

Before i go into the nuts and bolts let me spec out what i have.

X670E Hero - BIOS 1303
7950X3D
ZOTAC 4090 AMP AIRO
G.SKILL Z5 Neo EXPO 32GB 6000MHz F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR
CPU and GPU custom watercooled (EKWB parts)

So the other night while attempting to play Jedi Survivor the onboard Bluetooth disappeared (not in device manager etc), odd I thought but not a deal breaker and not worth the 2 months i was quoted i would be without the board, anyway my fault finding was as follows:-

Applied my clonezilla image of my machine in case it was a rogue update, Image is from 2 month ago when the system was built (clean image OS, drivers and AV) but the device was still missing.

Clean build of Windows 11 Pro from freshly downloaded ISO, no device.

Reached out to ASUS who said run the diagnostics in MyASUS app but there are none.

I had some new fans which i was waiting on installing on my Rads and thought no better time than now, they all connect to a fan controller so all i did was unplug 6 and plug in 6 to the same controller (all noctuas) and tidy the cabling, now the bluetooth is showing again but randomly the PC now just shuts down, no BSOD logs but 6008 IDs in event viewer, to power back on I need to either turn off the PSU and turn back on (Seasonic TX1300) or use the onboard ReTry button.

I'm at a loss and kinda out of ideas so any help is welcomed.

332 REPLIES 332

Dabz
Level 9

I also have horrible issues with the X670E Hero similar to some in this thread. My specs:

• 7800X3D
  • X670E Hero v1415 UEFI
  • 4090 Strix OC
  • 2x16GB Gskill Flare X5 6000-CL30
  • SeaSonic Prime TX-1300

my PC shuts off for no apparent reason and randomly. Not even during gaming, it can also just happen when I’m watching YouTube or browsing. I actually couldn’t finish this post without my PC shutting down and I have to use my phone.

After these shutdowns I have to flip the switch on the back of my PSU to off and wait for a couple seconds before the PC turns back on. On the 1410 UEFI it was even worse and it would happen like 3-4 times per day. On the current one it happened much less. At least that’s what I thought. Today it already happened 3 times to me in 2 hours.

There are so many people on Reddit reporting this issue.

no idea what I should do.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @Dabz 

I apologize for the delayed response.

May I ask if you mentioned that the current version has significantly reduced the occurrence of automatic shutdowns and the need to turn off and restart the PSU for the system to boot again?
Are you referring to the 1415 version compared to the 1410 version of the BIOS?
Would you still encounter this issue with the system running in default settings and with DOCP turned off?
Could you please provide the full part number of the "Gskill Flare X5 6000-CL30" memory?
Also, did you use any adapters to connect your graphics card to the PSU?
If you are experiencing this issue frequently, would it be possible for you to provide a complete video recording from the moment of the "automatic shutdown" until the manual switching of the power ON/OFF of the PSU and reboot?

Thank you.

Due to the ongoing regional holidays, my responses may be slightly delayed.
Thank you in advance for your patience.‌‌‌‌ 🙂

Hey Jiaszzz,

despite upgrading to the 1415 UEFI version, I was still facing crashes. However, I managed to troubleshoot the problem further, and I now have a stable setup that hasn't experienced a PSU OCP event in 2-3 days.

One major culprit for the shutdowns seems to be the high-performance power plan in Windows. Since this system is a fresh build, I had initially set it to the high-performance power plan for benchmarking purposes. However, switching to the balanced power plan almost immediately reduced the frequency of shutdowns from multiple occurrences each day to just one or two.

Additionally, I made some changes to my RAM settings. I switched from EXPO 1 to EXPO tweaked and manually adjusted stRAS and tRFC timings. These timings are overall appear much tighter than EXPO 1 but have proven to be fully stable. Additionally I manually dropped VDDCR_SOC to 1.2v. I have attached a screenshot to the post, showing the full part number of my RAM and the timings I adjusted.

Regarding my GPU, I am currently using a CableMods 12VHPWR 90° adapter and a CableMods 12VHPWR to PCIE cable for the connection. In the process of troubleshooting these issues, I also tested the included 12VHPWR adapter from ASUS/NVIDIA and the 12VHPWR to PCIe cable that came with my PSU from SeaSonic. However, none of these changes seemed to have a significant impact on the issue.

If I experience a shutdown/PSU OCP event again, I will record a video.

image.png

Sorry, for the double post. It just happened again here is the video:
https://youtu.be/MC-Fqp9pF5o

alex3thy
Level 8

I was watching the video from Foz that he uploaded in YouTube and now my PC stack in a weird stare of being powered up but now screen on…

wtf asus…?

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @Grifil 

After verification by the relevant department regarding your configuration and usage scenario, we believe that your situation aligns with the overheating protection mechanism.
We recommend monitoring the temperature during usage and trying a different PSU for testing purposes.
If the issue persists even after cross-testing with a different PSU, we suggest sending the motherboard to the ASUS repair center for further diagnostics.

Thank you.

I constantly monitor temperatures...They are really low, always. max 70 celsius on every cpu sensor under heavy usage. The crash is happening also when temps are lower than 40 celsius. It definitely isn't an heating issue...This shutdown issue is common to all of us here on this forum , and several other people on reddit... is defininitely bios related!

Pepper687
Level 7

As Grifil stated my temps are all good. I have two shutdowns yesterday; one while looking at a photo I was drawing and the other while listening to a pod cast. Yet playing Death Standing my CPU temps are mid to high 70's C and my GPU Hot Spot temp is 107 C and no shutdowns. Longest its run was 4 days with out shutting down. However after the shutdown the key board and mouse RGB's are still on. I have to flip the switch on the power supply to turn the system back on. The only common denominator for all these builds seems to be the Asus board and the 7800X3D

Asus X670E-E Gaming wifi, Ryzen 7 7800X3D, Asus TUF Radeon 7900XTX, 64G Adata AX5U5200C3816G memory, EVGA 1000W Platnium PSU, Currnet Bios 1416, Kraken Z73 AIO for CPU cooler.

I've cleared the CMOS and enabled D.O.C.P

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @Pepper687 

Was the issue of automatic shutdown and the need to switch ON/OFF the PSU only observed after updating to BIOS 1416?
After checking the QVL list for ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI, it states that the ADATA memory with part number AX5U5200C3816G is available in 16GB or 2x16GB configurations.
Could you confirm if you have installed two sets of this model, totaling 4 memory modules?
Therefore, please help us verify the following scenarios:
- Installing only one memory module in the recommended DIMM_A2 slot according to the user manual
- Installing two memory modules in the recommended DIMM_A2 and B2 slots according to the user manual
- default all the BIOS settings and not enabling DOCP
In these three scenarios, do the automatic shutdown problem occur?

Thank you.

Hello Jiaszzz_ROG:

- I assembled the computer and updated the BIOS to 1410 right away; I did have a few shutdowns on 1410 with D.O.C.P disabled. When BIOS 1416 was available I updated. It shut down about 40 minutes after  updating.

- I've had several shut downs with  D.O.C.P enabled/disabled, approximately 10 or so since the computer was assembled. The shutdowns occur when the machine is basically idle; looking at a photo I'm drawing, browsing the internet, listening to pod-casts ect, it's shutdown once while I was playing EverQuest.

- The memory I have is the 2x16GB kits, so 4 memory modules

-I'll remove the memory and reset the BIOS. I turned off Windows quick startup and haven't had a shutdown in two days now.