cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V edition 10

ukJimbob77
Level 7

Hi I’m having a few issues I hope someone can help with.

i have two machines with this now aging, but still powerful motherboard, one has an i7-6850k cpu the other an i7-5930k cpu

the board with the i7-5930k is running windows 11 from a 2tb WD Black SN770 using the built in m2 socket, this is system is functioning completely as expected, and using WD’s dashboard software shows, it’s ssd is running at gen 3 transfer using 4 lanes.

the board with the i7-6850k is running windows 10 from a 2tb WD gold SN600 using the built in u2 socket, this is not running correctly, WD’s dashboard software shows, it’s ssd is running at gen 1 transfer using 4 lanes,

The onboard m2 socket of this machine used to have a 250gb WD SN750 with windows 10, but this socket refuses to detect any Nvme m2 ssd now, this machine also sometimes can’t see the u2 ssd when booting, uefi gets triggered & no drives are visible.

I have a pcie m2 adapter card, I have used to install windows 11 on a WD Black SN850 (onboard m2 sockets of both machines cannot detect it) this is also not running correctly when installed in the motherboard with the i7-6850k, WD’s dashboard software shows, it’s running at gen 2 transfer speed using 4 lanes.

I have disconnected the u2 drive when attempting to use the onboard m2 socket, but it makes no difference, I have tried the PCIE riser card mounted SN850 with & without the u2 ssd being connected & vice versa with the u2 & it makes no difference to the transfer gen speed.

Only using a single 2gb gtx750ti graphics card.

any suggestions would be most welcome.

not in a financial position to upgrade motherboard, cpu or the graphics card unfortunately

4 REPLIES 4

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @ukJimbob77 

May I inquire if the motherboard model for your Windows 10 system is indeed the ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10?
Could you please specify the software or hardware changes that led to this problem, such as a BIOS update or adding an SSD?
Based on your description, the NVMe SSD installed in the M.2 slot cannot be identified in the BIOS. 
Could you confirm whether this device is detectable on Windows 10?
We recommend attempting to clear the CMOS and cross-test different M.2 slots without using an adapter for further investigation.

Thank you.

Due to the ongoing regional holidays, my responses may be slightly delayed.
Thank you in advance for your patience.‌‌‌‌ 🙂

Yes both my & my disabled parnters pc's both have ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 motherboards, there were no software or hardware changes, only occasional windows updates.
Yes the M.2 slot cant be identified by any NVMe SSD we own, including the 250gb WD black that was the boot drive until two years ago, & has since been repacked in the orignal packaging & unused since.

I have attempted to test the slot in windows, it did not show in windows.

I have cleared the CMOS & sometimes this makes my u.2 drive appear again, but after shutting down it is 50/50 when I turn back on if it is still there

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @ukJimbob77 

Based on your description, on the ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 with a Windows 10 system, the 250GB WD SN750 M.2 installation is currently undetectable, and the 2TB WD Gold SN600 in the U.2 slot also occasionally (50/50) goes undetected.
According to the RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 User's Manual, both of these slots share bandwidth with PCIEX8_4.
Also, with an i7-6850K having a maximum of 40 PCI Express Lanes, in a 4-Way configuration, PCIEX16/X8_1 operates in X16 mode, causing both the M.2 and U.2 ports to be disabled.

Considering these specifications, we would recommend that you verify whether your current hardware configuration aligns with the motherboard specifications and attempt to install a single VGA in the PCIEX16/X8_1 slot to verify if the BIOS can recognize the SSDs in the M.2 and U.2 ports.

Thank you.

Due to the ongoing regional holidays, my responses may be slightly delayed.
Thank you in advance for your patience.‌‌‌‌ 🙂

I am only using one VGA card, it is, & always has been in the PCIEX16/X8_1 slot, so I'm not sure what to do next