cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM Compatibility - 12700K 13700K Difference? Z690

Leftee
Level 7

I have an ASUS Maximus Z690 Hero motherboard, flagship board right, that I was running a Intel i7-12700KF CPU with Corsair Vengeance DDR5 RAM CMH32GX5M2B6400C32. This combination worked fine even though this ram was not listed as being supported on ASUS' website. I upgraded to Intel i7-13700K and got a Q code 55 indicating there was no RAM installed. I was able to boot with one Vengeance module installed, but had to apply XMP profile from a different stick of 5200Mhz  RAM. Why would this ram work with 12700K and not fully work on the 13700K? What gives? G.Skill makes a set of RAM that has similar timings and voltages and is supported. Seems strange to me.

3 REPLIES 3

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @Leftee 

Please make sure that you have updated the BIOS to the latest version and the Intel ME to version 16.1.25.2020.
After completing the updates, please confirm if you have cleared the CMOS and attempted a reboot.
It is also recommended that you install a single memory module in the corresponding slot, as specified in the user manual.
If possible, consider cross-testing with memory modules listed in the QVL (Qualified Vendor List).

Thank you

Due to the ongoing regional holidays, my responses may be slightly delayed.
Thank you in advance for your patience.‌‌‌‌ 🙂

BIOS and ME are up to date. Ram modules were installed properly. The only way I was able to boot was to install different ram, apply its XMP profile, shut down the computer, install one stick of the 6400mhz and it would boot. However, after installing the second stick it would go back to q code 55.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @Leftee 

Based on the description provided, it is likely that the issue is related to compatibility between the CPU, overall hardware configuration, and memory.
We suggest trying to install a single memory module and testing it in the recommended A2 slot mentioned in the ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO user manual.
Alternatively, please install memory models recommended on the Qualified Vendor List (QVL) to ensure compatibility.

Thank you.

Due to the ongoing regional holidays, my responses may be slightly delayed.
Thank you in advance for your patience.‌‌‌‌ 🙂