cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"USB Device over current status detected" with just a cable connected

gpetit
Level 8

Hello,

I have a brand new Asus ROG STRIX Z790 A GAMING WIFI motherboard that works fine, except if I plug any USB cable in any of the front-port USB. If I do it while the PC is running, the USB port works, but the minute I reboot I end up with a "USB Device over current status detected" error.

I contacted Asus and so far they suggested that I run the PC outside of the case in case there's a contact somewhere on the board. I tried and the issue is still there.

Have others encountered this? I see a couple of threads on the forums but could not find one what had a resolution...

50 REPLIES 50

I thinks is is a Bad bios issue!. I have two Asus motherboards they are AMD though and they are experiencing the same issues both after updating bios!?. One is an Asus prime x370 pro and the other is a Asus tough b450 gaming and they are both having the exact same issue as you they will not post passed bios and are giving the same error message. I believe that the BIOS the latest one somehow over volted the USB hub!. I noticed after I installed the newest bios on my b450 that I had slightly higher motherboard temperatures should have uninstalled the newest bios and put the old ones in bad call on my part now I'm stuck with two older motherboards that are out of warranty!!. I guess that motherboards are now just a consumable as it is now being termed for warranties with electronics!!. Really wish I hadn't updated my BIOS I have been doing it for years regularly every 6 months or so never a problem up until now!!. There should be protections on the motherboard against these issues but I guess this is a new issue and will take some time to fix!. It would be nice if Asus would at least meet us halfway and sell us new motherboards at cost to resolve this issue but alas that is not how it's going to be!!. 

Asus offered for me to ship the motherboards in at my cost so about $30 and then pay $35 each to have them inspected which is non-refundable just to tell me that the motherboards are bad and they need repair the average cost of a motherboard repair is $150 which is just not worth the time or effort when you can buy a new motherboard for $150 unless you are one of those guys that likes to buy those Best of the Best $500 motherboards it's just not worth it!. 

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @gpetit 

We recommend that you double-check the connection between your motherboard and the chassis to ensure there are no abnormalities.
Once you have completed the reconfiguration, please perform a clear CMOS and check if the error message still appears during the POST.
If there are any other error messages that appear, please provide us with the image for further confirmation.

Thank you.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @Le_Dude_Niginz 

I'm not entirely sure if the term "back of the motherboard" refers to the rear panel, and when the second paragraph mentions "just using the motherboard USB ports, this issue doesn't occur," how is it different from the previously mentioned ports?
Could you provide a picture of the USB ports to assist in explaining which interfaces would exhibit abnormalities during POST and which ones wouldn't?
Furthermore, kindly refer to the previous response and check the reconnection of the motherboard to the case and clear the CMOS before verifying once again.
If possible, could you also provide a picture of the abnormal POST screen described in the previous message?

Thank you.

Hello @Jiaszzz_ROG 

So the term back of the motherboard refer to the motherboard IOs, so all the USB ports on the back of the motherboard. What I meant with just using the motherboard USB ports this issue doesn't occur as in, if I keep everything plugged just to the motherboard's back IOs during a restart phase, USB Over Current Warning will never occur. Where if I use the front case USB IOs, during a restart phase Over Current Warning will occur. But it will not occur when shut down and started up, only happens with restarting when USBs are plugged into the front case IOs.

To note, all front USB ports works perfectly fine with no issue and no burning smell either so I assume there isn't actually an over current issue? Just for some reason when the computer needs to restart with any USB device plugged in at the front of the case, USB Over Current Warning will pop up. But after the 15 seconds count down to shut down, I press turn on the computer again, it will boot up without any issue?

I have attached pictures for references - 

The first image - The case IOs, this is where the USB Over Current Warning occurs if any USBs are plugged in during a restart phase of the computer but USB Over Current Warning doesn't appear upon booting up computer or shutting down. 

Second image - This is what I mean by connecting USBs to the back of the motherboard, all is well here and no USB Over Current Warning ever appears when leaving them all plugged in during restart phase, shutting down or booting up computer. 

To reply to your checking reconnection of the motherboard to the case, the connections are perfectly fine, there isn't any burn marks or anything also. All USBs ports looks perfectly fine, USB 3.2 Gen 1 and 2 header and USB 2.0 header looks fine with no jumpers missing as such. I am just not too sure on how to clear the CMOS? What do I need to do and do I just press the clear CMOS button on the back of my motherboard? 

The abnormal POST is the same screen @gpetit is getting for your information, his screen and mine besides on components of the computer being different, we are both getting identical errors or USB Over Current Warning and the same screen appears. 

Thank you.

Front Panel.jpgBack IO.jpg

Hello, @Le_Dude_Niginz 

Please refer to the guide How to clear CMOS? for instructions on clearing the CMOS. There are two methods provided.
We recommend that you first remove all USB devices and then perform the CMOS clearing process. Please check if the error message still persists after this step.

Thank you.

i have the same case and mother board combo as you. do you think its the front i/o hub on your case?

Hi @Jiaszzz_ROG 

Thank you for your suggestion. The two cables leading to the front panel ports has been verified multiple times (this is actually the first thing I tried) and like @Le_Dude_Niginz I can confirm that the connection is secure and there are no damaged pins.

Resetting the CMOS did seem to improve the situation. I have restarted and tested about a dozen time and could only reproduce 1/12 since I have reset the CMOS (whereas before it would have been 12/12). The 1/12 still worries me, I wish it had been 0/12, so I'll keep an eye on it, but for now I'd call this a success!

I'd be curious to hear from my new friend @Le_Dude_Niginz if he also sees improvement after resetting the CMOS.

To reset the CMOS, one has to shutdown the PC and turn off the power completely (switch on the power supply or remove the cable to be sure). I waited 20-30 seconds for the LEDs to turn off, then pressed the tiny RESET CMOS black button on the back panel. Upon restarting, I was prompted to press F1 to reconfigure my BIOS (I changed nothing, saved and exit). On my first attempt, I was able to reproduce the issue, but then I was no longer capable.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @gpetit 

While in the latest versions of BIOS, Intel ME, and default BIOS settings, and without any external USB devices connected, you still occasionally encounter this error message.
After consulting with the relevant department, we recommend that you send your motherboard to ASUS service center for further diagnostics.
Please provide a description of the error message during the repair process, and our service center will assist you with further investigation.

Thank you.

Thank you for the suggestion to obtain a replacement part. I am holding a little bit longer because, so far, since I have reset the CMOS, I have only seen the issue once in several day. I am running against “stock” settings. I will adjust settings for better performance and confirm if the issue comes back in a few days. If not, then I will be happy to keep this unit.

Thank you again for your continued support.