cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prime Z790-A won't boot with GPU Card

walleye70
Level 7

Mothernoard will boot without video card, but have tried powered video car RTX-3070 (Known to be good) also a non powered video card (also good taken from a working computer) When power  a red, green and white solid light, with no additional video card boots to BIOS

7 REPLIES 7

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @walleye70 

Due to the ongoing local holidays in our area, my response time may experience delays.
I apologize for any inconvenience the delayed replies may have caused.
May I ask if you are currently using the PRIME Z790-A WIFI-CSM or the PRIME Z790-A WIFI?
Could you confirm which slot the GPU is installed in, are you using an extension cable, and have you cross-tested the other slot to see if there are any differences?
After attempting to boot, do several Q-LED indicators light up?
We recommend referring to [Motherboard] ASUS motherboard troubleshooting via Q-LED indicators and checking the manual to ensure all hardware is correctly installed.

Meanwhile, the ROG forum is specifically for discussions related to the ROG or TUF gaming series products. 
If you have inquiries regarding non-gaming series motherboards, we recommend posting your discussion on Zentalk>Motherboard.

Thank you.

sharing complete hardware info & software config details will help us better understand the issue 🙂

walleye70
Level 7

Asus Prime Z790-A WiFi

Video card is installed in PCIeX16 slot. No extension cable, Video card RTX-3070 also tried a non-powered video in the slot still doesn’t come on. The CPU, Ram, Video card have been tested and worked in another computer with the same motherboard. Check CPU slot and there is no bent pins. Non powered video card will work in the PCIeX16(G4) but with powered RTX-3070 will not. It has the latest Bios V. 1658 it will boot up with RTX-3070 as long as the HDMI cable is plugged into the motherboard. In bios is does not recognize anything in the slot.  The power supply is thermaltake 1200W

Also when the HDMI cable is plugged into the RTX-3070 white and green qled lights stay on.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @walleye70 

Could you please clarify if this issue occurred after the PC was first built or after using it for some time and occurred following any recent changes, such as a BIOS update or component replacement?
Based on your description, we recommend conducting a bare-board test:
In an insulated environment, install only the CPU, GPU, and single RAM module in the DIMM_A2 slot on the motherboard, and connect the PSU before verifying if the system can boot and display using the GPU.
If it fails to do so (but works with integrated graphics), and after testing with different GPUs, this may indicate a possible issue with your PCIe slot. Please consider whether further diagnostics and repairs are necessary.

Thank you.

sharing complete hardware info & software config details will help us better understand the issue 🙂

walleye70
Level 7

This is a new build, did bare board test completed fine of course it doesn't recognize anything in the PCI-e slot.  I did the install with only CPU, GPU and single ram. That is how I start all of my builds also it is done on a test stand so no possible shorts or bad connections from the case itself.  Since it wouldn't boot thru GPU I did boot it up from the onboard graphics to update the bios to the latest version, usually that corrects most issues in this case it did not. After 30 years of building computers I am sure it is the motherboard. I have another asus motherboard  and the CPU, GPU  and ram work fine in. So all components have been checked and verified.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @walleye70 

Based on your description, if you have attempted cross-testing different GPUs and none produced a display signal, we recommend promptly contacting your point of purchase for after-sales assistance.

Thank you.

achugh
Level 12

Hi @walleye70, what exact CPU are using? What is the full make and model of your RTX-3070 Card i.e. founders editions, ASUS, MSI etc. who made it? Since you have another computer to test this card, what is the firmware version of this RTX card shown in the nVidia Control Panel?

In your BIOS do you have the option to configure iGPU usage like AUTO, DISABLED etc.? If yes, what is this value set to currently?

If you have any PCIe Card, you can put one into your board and test if the card is recognized and works. This will prove that you have a working slot and the issue could be with the GFX Card compatibility along with your other items on the board.

Have you tried to DISABLE FAST BOOT and ASUS LOGO DISPLAY in the BOOT CONFIGURATION menu?

Disclaimer: I am not an ASUS support person so my information may be incomplete. Always follow official documentation and material provided by ASUS representatives.

INTEL i9-14900K / CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB 192GB (4x48GB) 5200 CAS38 / ROG Z790 DARK HERO / ROG TUF GAMING RTX 4090 OC / ProArt PA-602 Case / SEASONIC PRIME TX-1300 ATX 3.0 / CORSAIR MP700 PRO 2TB PCIe Gen5 / CRUCIAL T500 2TB PCIe Gen4 / EIZO CG2700X