cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC shutting down randomly

Schmarq
Level 7

Hey,

For the past few months I have experienced an issue where my computer randomly just turns off, no BSOD. I was wondering if someone could help me identify the cause from minidump files I have gathered. These crashes occur usually once per day, sometimes twice and has so far happened mostly during gaming, but then again I use my computer mostly for that so whenever I am on PC there is a game running.

As of now I have clean installed windows, tried to update drivers, done all the scannow / chkdsk / DISM commands, tested the connections to my hardware and took out RAM and put it back. I also ran memtest64, stresstested CPU and GPU. None of these yielded any results.

Whenever I check the eventviewer after a crash it is always either volmgr 161 or 162 (I believe I've seen both also) followed by the natural Kernel-Power 41. I'm not sure if volmgr errors always refers to this, but the eventdata points at \Device\Harddiskvolume3.

As for the temperatures, I've tried to monitor those and I don't see anything out of the world there.

I've tried to look into the minidump files myself, but I am a little lost at what I should be looking for in these.

As for the hardware side, I have not concluded any tests with other parts yet as I don't have anything to test, but I suppose that would be my last resort.

As for the PC Specs:

CPU - 13th Gen Interl(R) Core(TM) i7-13700K

Mobo - PRIME Z790-P WIFI

GPU - NVIDIA Geforce RTX 4080

RAM - Kingston 32GB (2x16GB) Fury beast, DDR5 5200 MHz, CL40

Storage - 1 TB WD Blue SN580 NVMe SSD

PSU - Kolink 850W REGULATOR, ATX, 80+ Gold

As for the last 5 minidumps I have:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/sfkhxvabqv9nyug3j08go/AH82-ui075A-b6uiKh-Wndo?rlkey=xss0rph21u6xq784w...

I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestion as I'm nearing the end of my wits. I'm far from the most tech savvied person and I feel like I have ran out of ideas.

1 REPLY 1

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hi @Schmarq 

1. Clear the CMOS using the method outlined in the manual.

2. If using cable extensions or third party power supply cables, remove and install the OEM cables.

If the system shuts off without any prior warning, it would indicate a power issue.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090