cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NIB ROG STRIX X670E-E BIOS Flashback light stays green for hours

supakow
Level 7

I have a new AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D on a Strix X670E-E. I flashed the firware to latest (v2007) and installed Ubuntu as a test. All was good for about a day, then I couldn't POST after a reboot. I've tried reflashing with 2007 and 1905 with no luck - the Flashback light blinks a few times then goes solid and stays that way.

When it actually worked, I turned Aura off - and now I can see when I flash that Aura is still off - so my updates aren't being received.

I am using a 16GB HP thumb drive, FAT32, filename is SX670EE.CAP. From cold, plug in PSU, install USB in BIOS port, turn on PSU, press and hold Flashback. I've reset CMOS with the switch, pulled the CMOS battery and let it sit overnight, jumped the CMOS battery pins. I'm at a loss.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Q-CODE 15 is memory training. How long are you leaving the system? May take up to 1 to 2 minutes

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hi @supakow ~

SX670EE is the correct file name. If the system is refusing to flashback successfully I've moved the thread to ROG Care for attention of service.

Can you confirm whether any of the Q-LED lights are lit?

supakow
Level 7

Q-Code is 15, regardless of RAM sticks. I'm down to a single 32GB (Kingston and Corsair both yield same results) in A2.

I have tried two different USB drives (both formatted FAT32). The 16GB drive causes the Flashback LED to blink 5x then go solid. The 256GB drive causes 5x rapid double blinks, then goes solid.

I have doublechecked the CPU and mobo pins are clear, clean, and unobstructed. No bent or dirty pins. All PSU connections are good (24 + 8 + 8).

Q-CODE 15 is memory training. How long are you leaving the system? May take up to 1 to 2 minutes

I did not expect memory training to take that long - it's been a while since I've owned or even used a desktop. Waiting for memory training solved it. Thanks for your help.

No worries. Yes, AM5's training procedures can take a while. Once you've ensured the memory is stable in the operating system you can enable Memory Context Restore in the UEFI which retains the last "successful" training.

supakow
Level 7

Thanks for the additional info. I splurged for 128GB of RAM so it certainly took a while. I will look for the Memory Context Restore. Thanks again!