cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motherboard power cycles once on startup

RobCo
Level 7

I recently installed a ROG STRIX GTX4070 Super OC graphics card in my system. Motherboard is a ROG X570E Gaming board, PSU is a Corsair RM850x (2018 version, bought it in 2020 at the same time as the mobo).

At the same time I installed a Samsung 980 Pro m.2 card, and a USB3.0 internal hub/splitter (because my case has two USB3.0 connectors, and the X570 only has one).

After this I started experiencing startup issues consisting of random BIOS errors, but the system would be completely stable if it actually managed to get to POST. So I updated the BIOS from version 1405 to the current version, 5003. That solved most of the issues.

The only issue remaining is that after I turn the system on, everything will power up for a half second, power off, then power on after two seconds. It will then go on to POST, and the system is stable.

I read in another post that this may be caused by certain configurations requiring a power cycle before proceeding to POST. Is is possible this is being caused by the new GPU, which is overclocked, or is it due the BIOS update? Or is it being caused by something else entirely?

It's not a huge deal, but this is the last issue from the system upgrade that I have yet to figure out.

1 REPLY 1

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @RobCo 

May I inquire if the situation of automatic shutdown and restart after a cold boot occurred after replacing the GPU or updating the BIOS?
If you were to only install the system disk and remove all SSDs and USB 3.0 internal hubs, would the issue be resolved? Please also clear CMOS before reconfirming.
The condition of automatic shutdown and restart after a cold boot could indeed be due to abnormalities detected during the POST process, requiring a restart to boot up correctly and access the system.
If necessary, we suggest testing minimizing hardware devices by only installing the CPU (if it supports integrated graphics), RAM, and PSU, to confirm the issue.

Thank you.

sharing complete hardware info & software config details will help us better understand the issue 🙂