cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Z790 Hero - Random reboot to bios

ctouzinsky
Level 8

All,

I am having random reboots to bios.  No rhyme or reason as to why this is happening.  Completely random.  I was using an older EVGA P1000 platinum PSU so I replaced it with a seasonic focus gx-1000 v3, but no change.  I have updated on bios 2301 (using default intel), no change.  Here is my current list of hardware: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/C9QGZJ

Not sure what else to check.  At first built I had no issues and then this started maybe 3 months ago.

Let me know what other info you may need. 

Thanks in advance for any help.  Appreciate it.

Chip 

6 REPLIES 6

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @ctouzinsky 

Thank you for sharing the hardware specifications and context.
Regarding the issue of occasionally rebooting into BIOS, could you confirm if this occurs automatically after booting, either during BIOS or under OS usage?
Could you also describe specific scenarios where this problem has occurred so far, such as after playing a particular game for three hours, idling for three minutes, or connecting specific external devices?
Have you used any extension cords or adapters to connect hardware such as system drives, GPU, or PSU?
We recommend referring to the ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO user manual to ensure all hardware is correctly installed, and please avoid using adapters or extension cords during troubleshooting.
If the issue continues, please help us by providing a comprehensive video recording. This should clearly capture the current system setup, including scenarios when the system automatically reboots into BIOS (such as potential CPU, GPU, or system overheating).

Thank you.

sharing complete hardware info & software config details will help us better understand the issue 🙂

ctouzinsky
Level 8

Hello.  This happens completely randomly.  Usually after idle for some time.  Never has happened while gaming, using the pc, or stress testing.  Just completely random.  Running the most current bios using the intel standard settings.  No overclocking. I am using the XMP setting for my ram.  PC is not overheating while under load.  PSU is plugged into my cyberpower 1350PFCLCD Battery Backup.  That software tells me that it is running correctly.  Did the link not work to my current hardware list?  I included it in the initial post.

achugh
Level 12

Hi @ctouzinsky since you mentioned that you do not face any issues while the system is in use, it could be related to your system having trouble waking up from one of the sleep states your system gets into which then triggers a crash/restart.

To rule out that the issue is with power management / system returning back from sleep states, you can try the following and see if this helps. 

01) In the search bar type "Choose a Power Plan" and open your Control Panel to select the power plan.

achugh_0-1719354853648.png

02) On the left and side select/click on "Choose what the power buttons do" and then click on "Change settings that are currently available" as a blue link at the top to match your screen to the screenshot below. DO NOT forget to click on SAVE CHANGES button to make sure your changes are actually saved.

achugh_1-1719354936913.png

03) Now click the BACK ARROW button to go back to previous screen i.e. you are at the same screen as shown in 01 STEP above. Here click on the HIGH PERFORMANCE plan radio button and then click on "Change Plan Settings".

04) Set your "Turn off display" to a value you like and make sure "Put the computer to sleep" is set to NEVER as shown below in the screenshot and click on SAVE CHANGES button to save your changes.

achugh_2-1719355098690.png

05) Now click on "Change advanced power settings" blue link. Here make sure that your screen matches the screenshot below i.e. you set the computer to sleep to 0 but most importantly you DISABLE "USB Selective Suspend". Then click on OK button to save your changes.

achugh_3-1719355254004.png

At this time what you have done is to disable power management in Windows. This is not the best configuration as your system will be wasting electricity if you step away since it will not go to sleep to save energy. 

You now run your system as you normal do and see if this fixes the problem. If it does fix your problem then the issue is with some USB device connected to your system going into a sleep state and when Windows tries to wake up this device, it fails causing the issue you are seeing. Once this is proven, you can quickly change your profile back to the default Windows profile of "BALANCED" instead of "HIGH PERFORMANCE" as the default profile will enable USB SELECTIVE SUSPEND again. Then you can test if the problem comes back. If it does, it is a positive test that Power Management is your issue.

At this time, you would have to look into what USB devices you have connected to your motherboard. You will need to one by one isolate the device that is not playing nice with Windows and figure out the next steps.

I hope this information helps you figure out your problem and we can then discuss the next steps.

Disclaimer: I am not an ASUS support person so my information may be incomplete. Always follow official documentation and material provided by ASUS representatives.

INTEL i9-14900K / CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB 192GB (4x48GB) 5200 CAS38 / ROG Z790 DARK HERO / ROG TUF GAMING RTX 4090 OC / ProArt PA-602 Case / SEASONIC PRIME TX-1300 ATX 3.0 / CORSAIR MP700 PRO 2TB PCIe Gen5 / CRUCIAL T500 2TB PCIe Gen4 / EIZO CG2700X

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

@achugh 

Test the new BIOS' that dropped with the 125 microcode.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

@Silent_Scone This issue is being observed or faced by @ctouzinsky so he would need to give this BETA BIOS a try. I am simply trying to help him narrow down the issue so that you and others here can then focus on solving the root cause.

Disclaimer: I am not an ASUS support person so my information may be incomplete. Always follow official documentation and material provided by ASUS representatives.

INTEL i9-14900K / CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB 192GB (4x48GB) 5200 CAS38 / ROG Z790 DARK HERO / ROG TUF GAMING RTX 4090 OC / ProArt PA-602 Case / SEASONIC PRIME TX-1300 ATX 3.0 / CORSAIR MP700 PRO 2TB PCIe Gen5 / CRUCIAL T500 2TB PCIe Gen4 / EIZO CG2700X

1. It’s best to remove XMP overclocking before attempting any troubleshooting.

2. As the new ucode / BIOS has since launched to address certain turbo behaviour, flash to this and continue troubleshooting if required.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090