cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAXIMUS Z790 DARK HERO internet speed problem

adrifoxbg
Level 9

A few days ago I had to install Windows 11 Pro
I primarily use a Linux operating system, so I hadn't noticed this problem before
It's about the Internet speed on a cable, not a wireless connection.
When checking the speed in speedtest, my speed drops sharply
I'm using 600 Mbit download speed, in a test I reach it at the beginning, shortly after that the speed drops to 39
When checking the wireless network through a router, I found that there is no such problem
There is no similar problem under Linux either
Are there people with a similar problem and have they found a solution?
ASUS support advises me to contact the store where this product was purchased to send it under warranty for verification, but I personally do not believe that there is a hardware problem, rather a software incompatibility with Windows 11 or the drivers

What is your opinion ?
thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Windows does not recognize a LAN card during installation
I have to use a USB wireless device to connect to the Internet
to continue
Everything else is installed through Armory

The product itself was also suspicious for me, I bought it during a period when there was no stock
I have another motherboard HERO board, when replacing liquid cooling they told me that I have bent pins on the socket and I had to buy a new board, although the old one works
HERO was made in Vietnam and everything was impeccable in terms of quality
However, I returned one to RMA DARK HERO due to signs of use, scratched battery
I re-ordered the same motherboard from another store, it was the same production date and country, accessories were missing from the box
What I saw in the GN video disturbed me
The battery is some DBV

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @adrifoxbg 

May I ask what the LED indications show on the rear of the MB when the LAN speed drops?

What versions of the LAN driver and BIOS are you currently on?
If you have not updated to the latest versions, we recommend updating and clearing CMOS before checking again.
Kindly also refer to the instructions in [Motherboard] How to fix the cable network problems of Motherboard to troubleshoot the issue.
Additionally, ensure that Intel LAN is set to [Enabled] in the BIOS and check for any power management restrictions in the system.

Thank you.

sharing complete hardware info & software config details will help us better understand the issue 🙂

Everything is updated to the latest version through Armory
It is important to note that with a new installation Windows 11 does not find the LAN card, I have to connect via a USB wireless device to continue the installation
After the installation is complete, my first job is to install Armory and update and install everything
Wireless has no such problem
There is no similar problem under Linux either
I think it's something software related, either Windows 11 support or drivers

BIOS version is 1302
After flashing I always clear CMOS and do a factory reset

The LAN card is enabled in the BIOS of course

I haven't looked for an LED indicator or an error number,
But I don't think there is such an error, only the temperature of the processor.
The LAN card is blinking orange
The interesting thing is that at the beginning of the test I reach full speed, shortly after as a shaper my speed drops drastically
I notice there are network monitoring options in Armory, would be good to see if it's something to do with that.
Honestly, I don't believe it's a hardware problem, but you are the experts anyway.

I am assuming that you have already downloaded all the motherboard drivers from the ASUS website and that you have installed the LAN driver, and despite all this, the problem is present.
It is very likely that you have a hardware problem with the network card and you will need to apply a warranty (RMA).
I have a Dark Hero Z790 with a 13900K and Windows 11. I don't have any speed problems when using an Ethernet cable, so the idea you mentioned of some incompatibility with Windows 11 is not true.
If you have the possibility of processing your guarantee, do it, you will waste less time.

Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero Motherboard - Intel i9-13900K - Asus Thor 1200p - Kingston Fury 128GB (4x 32GB) DDR5 4200MT/s (Trying to run 128GB at 5600MT/s) - 3x Firecuda 530 NVMe SSD 1TB - WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD 2TB - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4080 - Windows 11 Pro x64

But why is there no problem on Linux, for example?
Everything works perfectly fine.
But thanks for the advice, I'm going to reinstall Windows today to try and fix the problem, if that doesn't work I'll go for warranty service.

Windows is downloaded from Microsoft's official site, I don't know how there would be a problem with that.

Yes, you could try to install Windows and install drivers. If it works in Linux, then logic tells us that the problem is in the software and not in the hardware. Possibly a bad driver installation, a bad network adapter configuration in Windows, maybe even a corrupt Windows installation.
Reinstalling Windows would be a good option to discard options.

Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero Motherboard - Intel i9-13900K - Asus Thor 1200p - Kingston Fury 128GB (4x 32GB) DDR5 4200MT/s (Trying to run 128GB at 5600MT/s) - 3x Firecuda 530 NVMe SSD 1TB - WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD 2TB - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4080 - Windows 11 Pro x64

Windows does not recognize a LAN card during installation
I have to use a USB wireless device to connect to the Internet
to continue
Everything else is installed through Armory

The product itself was also suspicious for me, I bought it during a period when there was no stock
I have another motherboard HERO board, when replacing liquid cooling they told me that I have bent pins on the socket and I had to buy a new board, although the old one works
HERO was made in Vietnam and everything was impeccable in terms of quality
However, I returned one to RMA DARK HERO due to signs of use, scratched battery
I re-ordered the same motherboard from another store, it was the same production date and country, accessories were missing from the box
What I saw in the GN video disturbed me
The battery is some DBV

adrifoxbg
Level 9

After reinstalling Windows and after a new version of the LAN driver, now everything is fine.

I think I found the reason, it's called GameFirst

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @adrifoxbg 

Due to the ongoing local holidays in our area, my response time may experience delays.
I apologize for any inconvenience the delayed replies may have caused.

Based on your description, a software issue seems likely, and we are glad you were able to pinpoint the problem.
May I ask if the issue was ultimately due to the laptop software GameFirst VI?
Meanwhile, if you encounter similar issues in the future, we recommend removing duplicate control software to avoid compatibility problems or trying to reset the system while keeping your files, then updating drivers and checking for issues.

Thank you.

sharing complete hardware info & software config details will help us better understand the issue 🙂

Of course desktop.
I see there are options to monitor the network, as shaper drops my speed drastically, when I turn it off there is no such problem.
There are no other programs tracking the same action as far as I know