cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Z790 1501 BIOS upgrade, need some pointers.

friap
Level 8

Hello, I'm going to install 1501 on a Maximus Z790 in hopes of making my RAM go faster, I still have the usb flash drive provided with the board, should I format that device with every firmware upgrade?

I guess it's just throw the file and rename it before installing, but I'm kinda scared as per usual, I came here to drift into valor and manage to install the thing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nate152

Nice, the bios flashback feature.

The blinking should get faster as it goes and stop when completed, should take around 90 seconds to 2 minutes.

The bios will reset to defaults once updated so be sure to go in the bios and set your memory.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Nate152

Hello friap

I normally format my usb flash drives to the FAT32 file system.

Yes, you want to rename the bios file, you can use the bios renamer tool that comes with the download, or rename it manually.

I can make you a quick video on how to rename the bios file and put it on a usb flash drive if you're unsure how to do it.

I just downloaded 1501 and renamed it but the EZ usb flash drive shows this

friap_0-1701644757299.png

I don't know if formatting the USB will get rid of the MB support thingie, should I just delete the old BIOS and put in the new one?

also, last time I did it from the BIOS and it ran perfectly, I want to use the BIOS button thing, there shouldn't be a problem right?

Nate152

Would you have another usb flash drive?

If not, see if there is enough space to let you move it to the usb flash drive.

Formatted an older USB and it already has 1501 renamed on it, I'm going to try the cold BIOS install through the button, looks super simple, kinda scared ******less ngl.

Nate152

Nice, the bios flashback feature.

The blinking should get faster as it goes and stop when completed, should take around 90 seconds to 2 minutes.

The bios will reset to defaults once updated so be sure to go in the bios and set your memory.

Maybe that's the reason, why the RAM is stuck at 5600 instead of 7600, thank you so much for the pointer, was looking for something like this, will post if I manage to post tomorrow.

I did it! I managed to upgrade and set the RAM right, I'm @ 7600!! and the computer is on its last BIOS udate, nice!!!!!

friap_0-1701681775302.png