cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Ranger VII won't boot after disabling XMP

ZenOlivetree
Level 7

Hi! I started having RAM issues when booting (after >1year using this build) and realized I had made a terrible setup (like mixing different RAMs in the same channel). After failling to find settings that would boot with all 4 RAM slots, I decided to try and disable XMP and put all RAM settings to default, because it I thought it would be a safer choice (as in, no O.C.). Now I can't boot even with only 1 stick of RAM! I tried:

- Clearing CMOS (both button and removing battery)
- Reflashing BIOS (seemed to go ok)
- Using the MemOk button (doesn't seem to have any effect at all, how does it work really?)
- Waiting for many (a couple of hours of automatic every 2s-4s) boot cycles

How do I get XMP back, if I can't get to BIOS? How does MemOk work? It seems like my only choice, but all it does is restart the system with exactly the same effect as the reset button.

System:
Maximus Ranger VII
Intel 4790k
2x G.Skill F3-2133C9D-16GTX (supposedly non-compatible, but worked for >6years)
2x G.Skill F3-12800CL-10S-8GBXL (bought in 2022, very limited choices now)

7 REPLIES 7

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @ZenOlivetree 

Could you please inform me of your current BIOS version?
As you mentioned that the system is unable to boot even with a single RAM module installed, could you please verify if the single RAM module is installed in the DIMM_A2 slot as the user manual recommends?

If necessary, it is recommended to perform a bare-board test in an insulated environment, which involves installing only the i7-4790K CPU, using the onboard video output, and a single RAM module in the DIMM_A2 slot with the PSU connected to further determine if the system can boot into BIOS.

Thank you.

sharing complete hardware info & software config details will help us better understand the issue 🙂

Hi, @Jiaszzz_ROG
Thank you for your response! I was already trying to boot with only CPU, RAM and PSU, but in DIMM_A1. However, switching to DIMM_A2 resulted in no changes: the Q-Codes go quickly up to 50 something, with the DRAM Q-Led turned on, and then it bootloops.
As for the BIOS version, it seems it's not longer available to download, so I don't know the version, but the filename was MAXIMUS-VII-RANGER-ASUS-3503.zip

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @ZenOlivetree 

Based on your description, we recommend that you try cross-testing other CPUs or RAMs during the minimize hardware testing.
Please refer to [Motherboard] Troubleshooting - No Power/No Boot/No Display if needed.
And if , regardless of the CPU used and with only one module of RAM installed in the DIMM_A2 slot (or cross-testing other slots), the system fails to boot into BIOS, we suggest cross-testing the motherboard or further sending the ROG MAXIMUS VII RANGER for repair to detect any possible abnormalities.

Thank you.

sharing complete hardware info & software config details will help us better understand the issue 🙂

ZenOlivetree
Level 7

Hi @Jiaszzz_ROG,

I don't have access to other hardware without buying it and warranty is long gone.
The Troubleshooting doesn't cover anything related to my case.
But still, shouldn't the MemOk cycle trying to find a good setup? I can't get that button to do anything, how does it work? The manual doesn't explain properly.

That's my last hope, without it, at this point it's a better investment of time/money to just buy new parts. It's a shame about the 4790k though, hell of a CPU...

Thank you

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @ZenOlivetree 

Upon confirmation by the relevant department, the MemOk function operates by assessing memory parameters to determine if the system can boot at the maximum frequency.
If not, it lowers the frequency and continues tuning until an appropriate boot frequency is achieved.

Thank you.

ZenOlivetree
Level 7

Hi @Jiaszzz_ROG

Thank you for the info, but I still don't know how to start the MemOk procedure. I have very little hope of getting this system to work, but I still would like to be sure I tried that.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @ZenOlivetree 

If necessary, we would recommend that you attempt cross-testing other memory modules listed in the ROG MAXIMUS VII RANGER QVL and install them in the recommended slots.

Thank you.