cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with restoring settings used in BIOS version 2703 to version 2802

SideMindLab
Level 7

Hello! I have an ASUS ROG STRIX z690 e WIFI motherboard, and today I updated the BIOS from version 2703 to version 2802. Everything went smoothly, and my computer started up normally. Afterward, using a flash drive, I attempted to restore my settings to the previous BIOS version. Here's where the problem occurred: when I did this and restarted, my computer couldn't boot and got stuck on Q code 53 with an orange light. I want to emphasize that the machine is new, and all components have been tested and verified. Everything is in order. I have reverted to the previous version, 2703, and it works with the file I saved as settings from the last time. My question is whether this is a bug in the new BIOS version, and should I expect an update, or are the changes drastic, requiring me to manually create entirely new settings for the new BIOS? If I have to create new settings for the new BIOS, this is just awful... perhaps I spent several days fine-tuning my machine for optimal performance... Please, ASUS, do something about this!

10 REPLIES 10

alessast
Level 9

Me too i have the same problem on Asus Z690 extreme the CMO file from Bios 2703 does freeze when loading up in bios 2802..

Can we expect a fix?

because seriously i can not be inputing back all the overclocking tuning manually from scratch..

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @alessast 

Exported CMO files usually need to be imported into the same BIOS version, meaning that different BIOS versions may not necessarily be compatible with CMO settings exported from a specific version.

May I inquire what hardware changes or requirements have prompted the need for a BIOS update?
Have you updated the Intel ME to version 16.1.30.2264 as required by the latest BIOS version 2802 and cleared the CMOS before making any manual settings?
Please provide more information, such as hardware specifications, the contents of manual settings in the BIOS, and their respective versions, to help us better understand your scenario.

Thank you.

The problem for me is that when I assembled my computer, I tinkered a lot with the RAM memory settings to achieve stable performance with 4 sticks of 16GB each at 6400mhz. I'm referring to the Asus Rog Strix z690 E Wifi motherboard and G Skill Trident Z5. Additionally, before the last BIOS update, I didn't have an issue with restoring the old settings from a previous BIOS version. From memory, I've done it at least 5 times so far with different BIOS versions. 

The biggest problem is, the bios version 2802 and the associated Intel ME version 16.1.30.2264 only cause problems, after the said updates (bios and ME) I could no longer play any games, for example CS2, Battlefield 2042, Overwatch, all games are either not started or crashed in the game. my system: Asus Z690-F Gaming and 13900K with 64GB ddr5. The solution is simple, put the old BIOS back on, but how do you downgrade Intel ME? or can we expect a working BIOS + Intel ME version soon?

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @Andypuhpandy 

May I inquire whether the inability to play games involves being able to boot the system but experiencing crashes upon starting games, or are there other issues preventing gameplay?
If you were to clear the CMOS and use default BIOS settings, could you successfully boot into the system and play games?
Could you please provide a detailed description of the current issues you're encountering, the troubleshooting methods you've attempted, and confirm the following information?
- does it happen in other usage scenarios, such as web browsing?
- the current BIOS version and the images of the setting in BIOS, or whether it is the default
- the brand, model name, and part number of the DRAM currently installed
- the brand and model name of the CPU, GPU, SSD/HDD, and PSU currently installed
- are there any extensions or adapters used to connect any devices, such as GPU or SSD?
- the OS version and OS build
- the circumstances and frequency of problem

Thank you.

Bob1361
Level 8

Good morning,

I encounter exactly the same problem.
I have 32GB of memory which is this model: "Dominator Platinum RGB DDR5 2X16GB 6200C36".
I reverted to firmware 2703 and I no longer have the error.

If this is indeed an error, could you please correct it?

THANKS

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hello, @Bob1361 

May I ask if your motherboard model is also the ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI or a different model? Is the memory part number CMT32GX5M2X6200C36?

We recommend you refer to the FAQs I provided earlier to further confirm if the BIOS version has Intel ME update requirements, the clear CMOS process, and the QVL verification. 

If the issue persists, please also provide more information, such as hardware specifications, the contents of manual settings in the BIOS, and their respective versions, to help us better understand your scenario.

Thank you.

Good morning,

Yes the motherboard model is a ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI, and yes my memory is indeed the Corsair 2x16GB reference CMT32GX5M2X6200C36.
I completely redone my computer (motherboard, memory, processor, graphics card, power supply, etc.) in March 2022 and I have never had any problems until now.

I did not have this information not to reuse the same CMO export file from one bios version to another.
Yesterday I had to telework and I had already lost enough time making adjustments to test.

I will try to redo the upgrade without manually reimporting the CMO, I only have a few slight adjustments to make.
I don't do overclocking or anything like that.
I only modify the RAM frequency so that it corresponds to the real frequency (6200) because once Windows loads the iCue utility cannot find the RAM to activate its RGB.
And I like having the temperature displayed rather than a code.
Each time I take a long time to find these fields, that's why importing a CMO was practical.

I'll repost here if it works better or not.

Thank you and have a good day

Good evening,

I updated my bios to 2802 without reimporting the CMO that I had generated with the old bios, the PC started correctly.
I then restarted it to make my various settings page by page, restarting each time, without letting Windows load, in order to identify a potential problem.
As I told you in my previous answer, I am not someone who overclocks their PC, but I have some "comfort" settings.

As you see in the Armory Crate screenshot, the bios version is 2802.

Thank you for your feedback on not systematically reusing the CMO file created with the previous bios.
I had always done it without problem until now.

Good evening and good luck to those who will have to redo all their settings manually 😞

Capture d'écran 2023-10-13 193151.png